Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 6:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 25, 2015 at 12:16 am)Delicate Wrote: Your response creates an interesting set of conundrums for atheists.

Firstly, your view that "If Christianity is true, then it still should not influence culture, as this is a secular nation." This betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what secularism is, and its status in the light of the truth of Christianity. Secularism does not entail that religion should have no influence on culture. Rather, strictly speaking, secularism entails that religion should have no influence on the state. This means governance should not be influenced by religion. It says nothing of culture in general, and secularism of the state is perfectly compatible with a highly religious, and highly-religiously-expressive citizenry. So you're operating under an idiosyncratic definition of secularism.

Second, if Christianity is true, then it must be true that there is an afterlife, so to speak. And one's well-being in the afterlife and relationship with God is of utmost importance. Someone who concedes that Christianity is true (even for the sake of argument), will have to concede (once again, for the sake of argument) that the latter two theological notions follow. In fact, one might make the claim that it is an ethical obligation to care for one's afterlife and relationship with God. Thus for an atheist to hold that Christianity is true AND Christianity ought not to have any influence on society is unethical and irresponsible towards one's citizenry, to the same extent that preventing people from access to healthcare and freedom, and the pursuit of happiness would be unethical and irresponsible in our current system.

So there are two big problems for your view: Secularism doesn't entail what you believe it does, and you are endorsing an unethical and irresponsible position that harms the citizenry. What can you do to resolve these two problems? Here are what seems to be your two options:

1) You either affirm the view that religion should have no influence on culture (perhaps you can call this view hypersecularism, as it is much stronger than conventional secularism), or you can reject the view that religion should have no influence on culture, and endorse ordinary secularism.

2) You have to either reject ethics (in which case you are permitted to harm the citizenry by constraining Christian cultural influence even if it is true), or you can affirm ethics and allow a cultural place for Christianity, given its truth.

There are more questions to raise, obviously. One concerns the worth of secularism in a world where Christianity is true. Another is the question of the reason and evidence motivating secularism in the real world. Yet another is the question of what normative standards are being assumed without argument when one says Christianity ought not x, culture and society ought to y, etc. 

But I like to keep the conversation short and snappy, so I'll end it here.

There is only one term for the entire basis of this response: delusional.

I can show you why in two easy steps: 

1) Replace what you said, above, with any other religion, such as Islam:

This betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what secularism is, and its status in the light of the truth of Islam. [...] Second, if Islam is true, then it must be true that there is an afterlife, so to speak. And one's well-being in the afterlife and relationship with God is of utmost importance. Someone who concedes that Islam is true (even for the sake of argument), will have to concede (once again, for the sake of argument) that the latter two theological notions follow. In fact, one might make the claim that it is an ethical obligation to care for one's afterlife and relationship with God. Thus for an atheist to hold that Islam is true AND Islam ought not to have any influence on society is unethical and irresponsible towards one's citizenry, to the same extent that preventing people from access to healthcare and freedom, and the pursuit of happiness would be unethical and irresponsible in our current system.

2) Now imagine having this exact conversation with a copy of yourself from that other faith-tradition, which instead dominated U.S. culture!

Secularism is the principle that religion is a private thing and that government must be neutral with respect to all religions. If we treat all religions as equals, then we can never allow one to gain dominance over the culture; this is especially true in a democratic republic, where the people's culture influences the vote, and yet the representatives of the people must represent all of us, not just the religious majority.

The "worth of secularism in a world where Christianity is true" is proved in the above word-replacement thought exercise. Because we cannot, in reality, know that one group of people's faith is true while all the others  are false, we must be neutral with respect to the claims of all religious persons, must treat them all as equally unsubstantiated. Otherwise, we get Muslim ideals, and talk about how it would be "unethical and irresponsible towards one's citizenry" to deny people the "truth of the Holy Qur'an", or whatever other religion gains dominance next century. That includes yours.

When you make statements like, "You have to either reject ethics (in which case you are permitted to harm the citizenry by constraining Muslim cultural influence even if it is true), or you can affirm ethics and allow a cultural place for Islam, given its truth.", it tells me that I am right to fear you, and your kind. 

So to answer your questions, yes, I do feel it necessary to "constrain" people of your ilk from trying to spread such insidious notions among the cultural and legal institutions by which you might coerce people into joining your private faith tradition. If you wish to practice your faith to the fullest extent your life can permit, fine... but it is clear that you are so arrogant in your religious beliefs that you cannot even see that there might be a world in which you are completely delusional, and your religious claims hold no more weight or moral guidance than any other religion on earth. The True Believer™... and that is what makes you dangerous to the rest of us, atheists and pagans and Sikhs and Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists and everyone not of your ilk included.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused - by TheRocketSurgeon - October 25, 2015 at 1:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3251 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7243 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1448 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3958 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7795 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15849 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6753 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3071 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6250 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 3744 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus