Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(November 1, 2015 at 12:58 am)Delicate Wrote:
(November 1, 2015 at 12:49 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: B

My apologies; I had assumed you were insightful enough the garner the inference laid before you.

My point, since you so obviously missed it, is that you matter on about evidence, all the.while believing in a deity in the absence of evidence.

Let me know if you need any more help understanding what I'm saying.

I need your help.

How does jumping from one assertion to another help your case?

Your "believing in a deity in the absence of evidence" is itself an unsupported assertion.

Not a single atheist has yet to show me where they have refuted any argument or evidence for God. And yet they believe, in blind faith, that there is no evidence.

This blind faith makes atheism look like a religion.

Pick something, bro. What evidence do you have?

Is it the Bible? Before you even bring that shit up, you're gonna have to give a good basis for which parts are literal and which parts are metaphorical (unless you're a biblical literalist, in which case you're much easier to nail down when it comes to refuting your bullshit).

"The Flood," for instance, couldn't have happened the way the Bible says it did unless Gaud was using significantly more magic than the actual story suggests.

The animals (and humans, for that matter) wouldn't have had the genetic diversity to speciate; the herbivores wouldn't have had anything to eat after everything being under water for a year; the carnivores wouldn't be able to eat anything without making something go extinct every time they did; all the sea life would die due to changes in water pressure, temperature, and salinity; if the waters reached above the highest mountain, everything in the boat would have frozen to death and/or suffocated at the thin-aired, bone-chilling altitude of 29,000 feet; if the boat were really sealed with pitch with only one opening at the top, the animals would have suffocated within days; the boat would have completely filled with poop within hours; the Ark is described as having dimensions significantly smaller than those of the Titanic, and yet it is said to hold significantly more live cargo and rations for said cargo for a full year.

So the Flood most likely didn't happen (at least not as written), which throws out biblical literalism right away and leaves the metaphor people to explain what message any all-loving Gaud could have possibly meant to convey by seeding his "word" with such a grim story that devalues human life in such a broad fashion, and (more importantly) what real sequence of events the Flood story could possibly be an allegory for.

What next? You want to play around with the Cosmological Argument? Everything has to have a cause, right? That means there has to be a causeless cause, and that causeless cause is most likely Gaud, right?

Wrong. If everything has to have a cause, then Gaud has to have a cause, meaning he raises questions and not explanations when submitted as the cause for something. If Gaud doesn't have to have a cause, then other things shouldn't necessarily require a cause, either, and so Gaud is not actually required to make things exist. If Gaud is the only thing that does not require a cause in order to exist, then that's special pleading.

Ooh, how about an argument from ignorance! You can't prove Gaud doesn't exist, so that means that out there, somewhere in the portion of reality we haven't discovered yet and know nothing about...maybe that's where Gaud is, right?

Wrong. First off, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate the positive existence of something if that's what you're claiming. If you don't have evidence, there's no reason for us to believe you. Furthermore (and this is really the important part), if the thing you're describing lies in the realm of the undiscovered and the unknown, how can you then presume to tell me anything about its qualities as if you know anything about it? If you know things about it, it isn't undiscovered or unknown, and if it's not unknown then somebody should be able to produce evidence that justifies the claim of "knowledge."

Maybe you're more a Pascal's Wager kind of guy. After all, if you believe in Gaud and it turns out you're wrong, you really haven't missed out, but if you don't believe and it turns out you're wrong, you're completely fucked, right?

Wrong. First, this presents a false dichotomy. Your Gaud and No Gaud are not the only two options; somebody else's Gaud could be the right one, and if that's the case you're in every bit as much trouble as I am. Second, theists do in fact have things to lose if they're wrong. All the time and money spent chasing the afterlife is wasted, and presuming that "we'll all be together in heaven one day" might tend some people away from fully valuing and maintaining their earthly relationships while they have the chance to enjoy them, causing them to miss out on experiences and people until they're dead and the opportunity is gone.

We could keep going, but I hope you're getting the picture. You'll note that these are all common apologetics arguments and NOT straw-men, so don't even start with that shit. If I haven't hit on any of your favorite pieces of pretend evidence, please direct me and i'll be happy to take a bat to your stained glass windows (metaphorically speaking, of course).
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused - by Redbeard The Pink - November 1, 2015 at 1:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3977 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7925 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1725 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 4260 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8343 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 17090 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 7760 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3308 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6909 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 4313 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus