Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 2:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist
RE: Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist
minotza Wrote:Strong Atheism as defined by Dawkins belief scale (shown here: http://christophersisk.com/dawkins-belief-scale-images/) says "Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God."
I think its safe to say that Strong Atheism is just as ridiculous as any religion (based on the assumption it makes) and may as well be considered a religion itself.

I've been exploring a lot of youtube clips lately of news channel and talk show interviews with atheists such as Dawkins, Hitchens, and various others and I've come to the conclusion that theists when structuring their arguments (usually) argue on the premise that all atheists are what Dawkins defines as Strong Atheists. This makes the theists look better then they are to the masses, because in reality its just two religions arguing with each other. I think that in order to show how religion is irrational atheism cannot be viewed in this way. I'm not saying that anyone is actually a Strong Atheist here (to be so is to be irrational and illogical I think), but whether we like it or not that is how the atheistic community is commonly viewed by theists. I think this mostly just stems from lack of understanding on the theists part..but the point I'm trying to make is why is Strong Atheism even mentioned at all? I think all the principles of rationality and logic go against Strong Atheism....right?

Strong atheist here.
Does it mean that I "know" that no gods exist?. No, but I find the idea so absurd that I'm not willing to put the brakes on when defining myself. I'm not going to say that "I'm merely 90-99% sure" just to satisfy nitpickers and people who aren't entirely finished with God.

We can't set up an experiment and test whether or not a god really does exist. However, the proponents of theism have always been religions and they have a really bad track record as far as knowledge of the world goes. Especially the future. Take Christianity, it's been going on for almost 2000 years and many of it's prophecies are testable (Jesus was going to return in the lifetime of his followers) and have failed a long time ago. A hypothesis that fails over and over again must at some point be thrown out of the window. We would do this with all other things. But it seems to be difficult with gods.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist - by Strappado - January 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2893 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 2080 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1963 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10722 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27786 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7148 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is atheism really a tenet of communism? IanHulett 17 2890 September 26, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12469 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  How many strong assumptions do unbelievers need? Pizza 29 5139 April 1, 2015 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Brakeman
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12708 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott