Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God
The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God
(December 24, 2015 at 10:35 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 11, 2015 at 3:52 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Questions about being itself cannot be approached in the same way as questions about particular beings. Metaphysical questions are about what people can know about anything that is, regardless of what it is? For example, what do acorns, people, electrons, oil paintings, and numbers have in common with each other

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: You can't on one hand declare god and metaphysics outside the reaches of empirical science, but then on the other accuse me of not doing my due diligence in investigating the "true nature of being and reality… if the scientific method is an incorrect investigative tool for such metaphysical matters, how DO you propose we gather this knowledge? Just by thinking really, really hard about it? That is called day dreaming.

Q: By means of empirical science, prove that empirical science is the only valid means for gaining knowledge?

A1: You cannot.

A2: It’s called philosophy. Philosophical inquiries complement those of natural science and other areas knowledge. They do so, generally, by applying reason to observations, but not just any kind of observations - universal experiences and general principles that apply universally. Natural science focuses on particulars. Biology studies a particular type of beings, living things, and principles specific to living things. Linguistics also studies a particular kind of beings, verbal and written, sign systems and the principles specific to communication. Mathematics studies immaterial formal beings. Economics studies the exchange of goods and services and the principles specific to trade.

A3: Natural science deals with how things that exist change into other existing things from things that existed previous. Natural science cannot deal with why anything exists at all or how it is possible for existing things to change.

A4: Natural science talks about beings, but cannot explain what is common to all beings.

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: God is either knowable or unknowable. He is either in the same category as reality or outside of reality (which is utterly meaningless, in any case).

By means of empirical investigation define the meaning of reality and provide empirical evidence that your definition is true.

[quote='LadyForCamus' pid='1139972' dateline='1449936298']The only fallacy here is yours in thinking there is any substantial difference between your God and my leprechaun.

Do yourself a favor and learn the difference between mutability and immutability. You also do not seem to understand the distinction between universals and particulars.

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Oh, and by the way, screw you. I am a human being; I experience the human condition as richly as you do. But thanks for your Christian spirit in dismissing the sum and total of my humanity. Shame on you; What Would Jesus Do???

Of course you experience the human condition, its joys and pains. My point was not personal. Simply this: materialism lacks the ability to meaningfully address the basic questions of human existence.

Chad, I think you forget that as aTheist the burden of proof is on you. When you insist something exists and that people should believe in it, it's up to you to demonstrate good reason why we should. You haven't even come close so far as I can tell. So let me ask YOU:

1. Using philosophy, Prove to ME this knowledge you have gained that lies outside of empirical science. It is your claim that such knowledge exists, so prove it to me beyond reasonable doubt so that I may be thoroughly convinced.

2. Prove to ME that natural science CAN'T and never can be able to explain why anything exists at all.

3. Please provide me with a definition of "meaning of reality," and prove it is the only correct and true definition.

(You certainly can't. How narcissistic of you if you were to even try)

4. I am an absurdist; I don't believe there is an absolute, objective "meaning" of reality.

Can you please use your tools of philosophy to prove that there is?

By the way, I did myself the favor of looking up mutability versus immutability, and guess what? I still don't believe in God.

(December 24, 2015 at 10:35 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 11, 2015 at 3:52 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Questions about being itself cannot be approached in the same way as questions about particular beings. Metaphysical questions are about what people can know about anything that is, regardless of what it is? For example, what do acorns, people, electrons, oil paintings, and numbers have in common with each other

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: You can't on one hand declare god and metaphysics outside the reaches of empirical science, but then on the other accuse me of not doing my due diligence in investigating the "true nature of being and reality… if the scientific method is an incorrect investigative tool for such metaphysical matters, how DO you propose we gather this knowledge? Just by thinking really, really hard about it? That is called day dreaming.

Q: By means of empirical science, prove that empirical science is the only valid means for gaining knowledge?

A1: You cannot.

A2: It’s called philosophy. Philosophical inquiries complement those of natural science and other areas knowledge. They do so, generally, by applying reason to observations, but not just any kind of observations - universal experiences and general principles that apply universally. Natural science focuses on particulars. Biology studies a particular type of beings, living things, and principles specific to living things. Linguistics also studies a particular kind of beings, verbal and written, sign systems and the principles specific to communication. Mathematics studies immaterial formal beings. Economics studies the exchange of goods and services and the principles specific to trade.

A3: Natural science deals with how things that exist change into other existing things from things that existed previous. Natural science cannot deal with why anything exists at all or how it is possible for existing things to change.

A4: Natural science talks about beings, but cannot explain what is common to all beings.

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: God is either knowable or unknowable. He is either in the same category as reality or outside of reality (which is utterly meaningless, in any case).

By means of empirical investigation define the meaning of reality and provide empirical evidence that your definition is true.

[quote='LadyForCamus' pid='1139972' dateline='1449936298']The only fallacy here is yours in thinking there is any substantial difference between your God and my leprechaun.

Do yourself a favor and learn the difference between mutability and immutability. You also do not seem to understand the distinction between universals and particulars.

(December 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Oh, and by the way, screw you. I am a human being; I experience the human condition as richly as you do. But thanks for your Christian spirit in dismissing the sum and total of my humanity. Shame on you; What Would Jesus Do???

Of course you experience the human condition, its joys and pains. My point was not personal. Simply this: materialism lacks the ability to meaningfully address the basic questions of human existence.

Chad, I think you forget that as aTheist the burden of proof is on you. When you insist something exists and that people should believe in it, it's up to you to demonstrate good reason why we should. You haven't even come close so far as I can tell. So let me ask YOU:

1. Using philosophy, Prove to ME this knowledge you have gained that lies outside of empirical science. It is your claim that such knowledge exists, so prove it to me beyond reasonable doubt so that I may be thoroughly convinced.

2. Prove to ME that natural science CAN'T and never can be able to explain why anything exists at all.

3. Please provide me with a definition of "meaning of reality," and prove it is the only correct and true definition.

(You certainly can't. How narcissistic of you if you were to even try)

4. I am an absurdist; I don't believe there is an absolute, objective "meaning" of reality.

Can you please use your tools of philosophy to prove that there is?

By the way, I did myself the favor of looking up mutability versus immutability, and guess what? I still don't believe in God.

Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God - by Cato - December 17, 2015 at 10:10 pm
RE: The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God - by Cato - December 17, 2015 at 11:33 pm
RE: The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God - by Cato - December 19, 2015 at 12:59 pm
RE: The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God - by Cato - December 24, 2015 at 10:26 am
The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God - by LadyForCamus - December 26, 2015 at 10:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 6078 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 12760 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 6205 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 544 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 5 919 August 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 2185 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3859 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Silver 49 7935 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 26232 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Another argument for God. Mystic 52 10317 January 24, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: uncool