Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 5:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists
(December 29, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Brakeman Wrote: You are obviously a philosophical nonsense lover who doesn't know shit about communication. The philosophical notion of destiny, predestination, and it's ilk are useless mental masturbations that have no practical value and the bulk of the human population eschews these dry mental morasses. Communication on the other hand is clear, you do your best to exchange ideas with the best fidelity as possible with the understanding of your audience's ability to decode. You've made several clearly stated claims but you contend that they have meanings way outside of the normal vernacular.

I do put quite a burden on others to try and understand what I'm saying based on context.  I actually prefer that way of communication, because even if I were precise with my language, which I'm very much not, there is still so much semantics (mental masturbation in which nobody cums) involved that we could spend days quibbling over the definition of just about everything (see half the threads in the forums).  That's why I try to use a lot of examples so people acting in good faith have a good shot at getting the gist of what I'm saying.  

And the ideas are far from mental masturbation with no practical value.  They shape how I vote, how I interact with others, my own happiness and behavior.  

In the bigger picture, we've seen the understanding that sexual preference/sexual identity as a non-choice completely change how the LGBT community is thought of.  We see similar changes in how people dealing with addictions/mental health issues are treated.  There is a definite shift away from the notion that people are wholly responsible for their actions, and I suspect both science and public opinion will continue down that road together for a little longer. I think science will end up going much much further than public opinion will be willing to, at least for now.

As for the bulk of the human population, I'm posting this on an Atheist forum with subforums like Religion, Philosophy, and Atheism for a reason.  I don't discuss this with people I know, as I can't imagine any of them having any interest in it.  This group I would expect to have more takers than the general population.

Messages In This Thread
Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 12:57 am
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 10:54 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 10:00 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by brewer - December 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by Cato - December 30, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10275 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6766 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 8186 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 14767 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2228 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible) ProgrammingGodJordan 207 21808 December 9, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Are humans more insignificant to Atheists or Theists? ReptilianPeon 6 2059 December 11, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8370 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What Would It Take? Shuffle 90 16857 September 14, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon