Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler"
RE: "I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler"
To Padraic and Ziggystardust,

As i already stated, i do not want to CONTROL anyone's speech. However i am certainly in my right to express my opinion about something i find idiotic and useless. That post was merely an example to show what i think is contributing to give atheists the "condescending douchebags" stereotype, which is why i condemned it.
And i am in my right to say how i think people SHOULD behave. I do not force anyone to accept my standards, i merely state those standards and my reasons for having those standards.

If our goal is to comfort ourselves and tell ourselves we are superior and theists are stoopid, then yeah these statements are alright. But if our aim is (and i know mine is) to actually have a rational discourse to convince people to accept our ideas, then this is simply the wrong way to go.

All i can say is that i cannot agree more ^^

Quote:But you must admit there is a fascist element in many of the uber conservative Christians. I call them "Christian Nationalists". They scream "Christian Nation" all the time. Those are the ones I dispise.

That is the kind of rethoric i do not agree with: taglines like "fascist" only make dialogue harder. Again, if you consider the one you speak to to be a fascist, it's pretty likely that you are not going to listen to anything they have to say.

Also, the ones who make the news are always the most extreme ones. So judging a whole group of people by its most extreme members is wrong.

Both of these networks are appealing to a demographic in order to make profits. Both of them have a rhetoric to dispense and a way to dispense it. In that way there is NO difference between them. But since Fox has a strong Christian tendency, its rhetoric appears more biased.

But if you look at left-wing pundits like Bill Maher (whom i otherwise love), or Chris Matthews (who lost all my respect after a debate with Chris Hitchens) or Keith Oibermann (who is insane...)....no one is free of blame.

Just taking the example of the Tea Party: the vast majority of these people were calm, rational people actually worried about their country, but both Fox and the more left-wing networks twisted them to fit what they wanted people to see. It's just sad and insulting.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler" - by Rwandrall - February 23, 2011 at 4:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 3015 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5608 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7402 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Mudhammam 29 5631 August 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  "I'm a Christian but I don't believe in religion." swata224 65 29741 August 5, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  do you believe in the illuminati? what do you think of my idea? leodeo 23 4526 May 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Why I think people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny are going to hell. nogodchick 3 1473 April 28, 2014 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why I think theists who think atheists are going to hell are full of shit. Whateverist 11 3096 April 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  do u think people think im lame for not having a gf? leodeo 45 9318 November 20, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  You atheists are the scum of the Earth, but god loves you Yahweh 29 6938 November 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)