Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think?
So, for this thread i'm mostly talking about the conversations when you're talking about your views on religion. And, whoever you're talking too actually brings up a good point or something that makes you stop and think? Also, sorry in advance if this has already been asked.
RE: Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think?
http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
(August 20, 2016 at 10:56 pm)jmoney_419 Wrote: So, for this thread i'm mostly talking about the conversations when you're talking about your views on religion. And, whoever you're talking too actually brings up a good point or something that makes you stop and think? Also, sorry in advance if this has already been asked.

Yeah... forgive me but I was almost convinced that aliens have visited Earth...
My dad told me a list of symptoms of alien abduction and I had almost all of them.

Turns out...

ALMOST ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE DEM.

AND IT'S A MEDICAL CONDITION.

e.g...

Sleep paralysis,
Fear of being watch by shadowy creature,
Fear of looking at weird shaped aliens (or creeped out)
Random scars
Time loss
etc...

Forgive me...

Deism, when I first heard of it as a boy. I still think it's the most reasonable possibility (however remote) for any deity.

No.
Sure. What's wrong with stopping to think about a conversation? That's the only way you can figure out if it's worth going on with it or not. Some points even seem good on the surface occasionally. The fault buried beneath the surface requires some thinking to dig up.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
The various philosophical arguments (Kalem, teleological, ontological, etc) made me stop and think when I first heard them.

Before I figured out they were all fallacious, they caused me some thought.

But not any more.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Wut, here at AF ???

Oh, hell no !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Tongue Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome to the forum Smile

Nope. I've used deistic style arguments as target practice for identifying logical fallacies. But they're never backed up by evidence so they are automatically useless anyway.

I couldn't give a shit which religion is "true", if any. I'm not looking to join cults, or to worship anything. I'm happy thinking for myself.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3860 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2214 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2890 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14594 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6154 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46228 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2864 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4621 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11523 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Mankind is actually building "Gods" Face2face 6 2159 December 11, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet