Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'm a Christian but I don't believe in religion."
"I'm a Christian but I don't believe in religion."
"I'm a Christian and I have a relationship with Christ but I don't believe in religion."

This is a direct quote from one of the RA's in my residential college today.
I think by religion she's talking about the rules and regulations of religion, yet she follows those rules ie. goes to church every Sunday, says Grace before every meal etc.
I'm just wanting a bit of help deciphering what motive would be behind this oxymoronic statement, and maybe a bit of insight into why someone would believe this?

Thanks everyone! Smile
T
RE: "I'm a Christian but I don't believe in religion."
She's an atheist, she's just doing the movementsTongue
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(May 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: She's an atheist, she's just doing the movementsTongue

See I'm not so sure.
The second I said I was an anti-theist atheist she clammed up and stopped talking to me.
Could it be that being an atheist scares her?
She probably disbelieves parts of the bible/Christianity that go against how she perceives the world, and may add beliefs from other religions to her own. But it seems as though she truly has faith that there's a deity and is likely just used to worshiping him/her/it by traditional means.
(May 20, 2013 at 6:54 pm)swata224 Wrote: "I'm a Christian and I have a relationship with Christ but I don't believe in religion."

This is a direct quote from one of the RA's in my residential college today.
I think by religion she's talking about the rules and regulations of religion, yet she follows those rules ie. goes to church every Sunday, says Grace before every meal etc.
I'm just wanting a bit of help deciphering what motive would be behind this oxymoronic statement, and maybe a bit of insight into why someone would believe this?

Thanks everyone! Smile
T

Because they want to have their cake and eat it too?

Because they want to benefit from being disreputable without being called for being disreputable? Sort of like stealing without being called a thief.
Fun fact: I've heard no less a religious figure than Jack Chick claim this.

[Image: 1023_20.gif]

I've heard this from other people, but under no circumstances did any of them actually define religion. Although, given that they usually define "relationship with Christ" as being in opposition to "religion," I should probably mention that, when I took world religion courses, they defined religion as "one's relationship with one's understanding of the divine."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

It tickles me no end to see the enormity of effort Christians put into distancing themselves from Christianity.

It would seem obvious to a person of reasonable intelligence that if you have an Albatross tied round your neck, running away isn't going to accomplish much of anything; you must cast off the foul thing altogether.

(Geek point: "Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck... til some idiot killed it.")

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
She could just be a jackass, too.
My girlfriend said something similar "Christianity isn't a religion, its a relationship with god." So ridiculous...

also reminds me of this

Same shit, different package.

It's about redefining terms while still having the same content, basically. The reason is obvious: religion has this nomenclature of being, well, fucking evil, and they want to distance themselves from that by just re-packaging religion as, in the case of the religion of Christianity to "personal relationship with Jesus/God/The Holy Spook" - same fucking difference.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7966 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4239 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Islam is not a Religion, but a..... Omnisofos 41 12604 June 23, 2017 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Regina
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2306 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3169 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Why I don't believe in religion Na11 21 5737 November 30, 2016 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why I Don't Believe in Atheism MPCADF 152 17522 August 2, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why I don't believe in polls Elskidor 8 1642 July 31, 2014 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Nine
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16566 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8816 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.