Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate?
Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate?
A thought occurred to me.  What if the bible were far more pleasant?  Instead of stories of Adam and Eve getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden, of God flooding the world, and of Hebrews stoning people... you'd find stories of God actually showing what we consider kindness.  No laws against working on Sunday, or disbelievers going to hell, or eating shellfish, or gay people. 

Take out some of the scientific inaccuracies, the sexism, the homophobia, the genocidal rage, etc... and replace it with more pleasant things.  For example the ideas of feeding the poor being important, while also allowing gay people to get married, being against slavery, etc...  Instead of saying the world is only 6000 years old, it might make no claim to the age of the Earth.  

Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant and less inaccurate?

I'm inclined to think that I would be.  Obviously there would still be a lack of evidence.  But I think most people believe because they already find the bible rather pleasant.  They don't like the idea of gay people having sex, so they aren't bothered by the idea that God forbids gay people having sex.  They can accept it with ease because they are comfortable with it.  I'm willing to admit that if I was far more comfortable with it, I think I'd still be a believer.  It's not the only reason I disbelieve now, of course.  But take the inaccuracies out too, and I doubt I'd still be an Atheist even without proof of god.  I'd probably be like many theists are now, and not need proof, other than my own confirmation bias.  I'd like to think I'm more intelligent than that, but I don't think that I am.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate?
Lots of fairy tales have happy endings.

They are still fairy tales.
RE: Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate?
Sure. If the Jesus stuff wasn't connected to the old testament, and it really was just about loving your neighbor, giving to the needy, and stuff like that, I'd still be a believer. that's how it was sold to me in the church, more or less. That kind of mindset doesn't really hurt anyone. Hippie Jesus is a cool guy. It's just the other stuff that kind of wrecks it for me. Though the fact that the Jesus story isn't very unique, or original, kind of wrecks it for me too.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Min took my spotlight.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Take the business and control aspect out of it and it might gain a slight bit of respect as a harmless cult for the hippies.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not a chance.

My disbelief is based on the drastically insufficient evidence to support any of the god claims and supernatural stories in the Bible. Even if the god depicted in the Bible wasn't an evil, genocidal, slave supporting, being, there still is drastically insufficient evidence to support his existence.

So no, a pleasant god of the Bible, would not provide me with any more reason to believe he exists.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I don't think so, but even if I believed, I would never worship.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Doubtful.

Drop Dead Fred had a happy ending and I still don't believe in imaginary friends.
Dying to live, living to die.
No. I didn't stop believing because I thought the Bible was unpleasant. 

I stopped because NONE of the magical bullshit that's at the crux of any religious belief, appears to be possible.
Interesting question. I can't properly comment as I never believed any of it in the first place.

I would imagine there would be a few people who could be swayed this way. Those who are natural sceptics however, I would expect to see through it eventually no matter how nice it was.

I also wonder whether some people would actually leave because it was too nice. Without anything to back up all these horrid threats, people might feel more at ease to walk away from it rather than believe at all costs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3267 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How accurate is Radiometric Dating? jerrymass 44 3785 April 1, 2023 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30194 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4116 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7700 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5532 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3547 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9665 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie