Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
"I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler"
#29
RE: "I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler"
(February 23, 2011 at 7:54 am)Skipper Wrote: If I was left wing though, I would expect me and other left wingers to stand up and fight Stalin. If I was right wing, I'd defend being right wing but also fight the exploitation of the masses. Whatever ideology I subscribed to I would expect to defend it's true position from extremes of any kind, the same thing I expect of religious folk. More so from religious folk, seeing as at least being right or left wing is subscribing to ideas that clearly exist. If you choose to be of whatever religion and claim it to be peaceful, when someone comes along and uses your religion to cause suffering you should be on the front-line of fighting them, otherwise don't bother with the religion because without the peaceful masses of any religion there is no way religion would have power to cause the evil it does.

I entirely agree with what you said. But you seem to be under the impression that religious people do not go against the actions taken by extremists, and that is simply not true.

Some left-wing people rejected Stalin, some did not. No general rule, and no black or white. In the exact same way, MANY religious people opposed, rejected and protested some actions made in the name of their religion. A large part of the protest against the Pope in London were not atheists but women for the right of women to become priests, or catholics protesting the covering-up of the crimes committed by the Church.

The 9/11 attacks were universally condemned by muslims worldwide. The actions of the Westborough Church are universally condemned by Christians.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: "I disagree with you, but i don't think you're Hitler" - by Rwandrall - February 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Do you care what other atheists think of you? Secular Heckler 27 7251 September 7, 2026 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 32467 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 17489 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 2696 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 17767 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 19228 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 11815 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 65501 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 9005 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 5316 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)