Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 7:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teach children about Jesus at a young age,
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age,
(March 12, 2016 at 9:34 pm)Bob Kelso Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Clearly the people in the emboldened part weren't religious, or else why are they acting surprised when they are about to be let into heaven? Now this wouldn't be the case for those that heard the gospel and rejected it, it's for those that never had the opportunity to hear the gospel yet were good people. Hence the separation of the sheep from the goats; in other words the good from the bad.
*my bold*

We aren't talking about those that have never heard the gospel though, are we? The subject was indoctrination of young children, and my alternate point was that Christians don't teach their young or their congregations that you can enter heaven through good works alone. If you're one of the Christians that believes the unsaved who have never heard "the word", then that's fine. It's completely beside the point though. 

Quote:Moral of the story? Love everyone, that's the best lesson you can teach a child.
I don't necessarily disagree, with the addition of teaching your children the qualities of those undeserving of their love (abusive folk and their like).

No, the subject is about "teaching children about Jesus at a young age", which you guys turned into being about indoctrination.

My original point was that for the Christian, there is no commandment but to love everyone, even the undeserving. For if you only love the deserving, where is the reward? No one deserves God's love, yet he loved you anyway; And THAT"S what being a Christian is about, 'to Be like Christ'.

Quote:John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:12
No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
Quote:1 Corinthians 13

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
*emphasis mine*

I'll repeat what I stated before:
(March 11, 2016 at 5:45 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Indoctrination? please, Since when is teaching a child to love their fellow man indoctrination?

Messages In This Thread
Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Foxaèr - March 11, 2016 at 1:12 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 2:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 6:59 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Huggy Bear - March 13, 2016 at 4:56 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 14, 2016 at 12:50 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 8:25 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 2:49 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Chad32 - March 11, 2016 at 11:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 3:08 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 11, 2016 at 5:07 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 1:28 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 2:17 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 17, 2016 at 9:57 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 21, 2016 at 11:57 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 4:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 4:36 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 10:46 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 12:35 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1311 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1500 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  The age of the Earth LinuxGal 12 2627 March 21, 2023 at 5:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1153 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2126 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 10072 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4163 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2629 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2738 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion! Jehanne 43 3965 May 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist