Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion!
87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion!
News story here:

New York Times -- Ireland Abortion Vote

Lamentation here:

Catholicism.org -- on the SLPC hate list

Is this the beginning of the end for right-wing Christianity?
RE: 87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion!
(May 28, 2018 at 9:13 pm)Jehanne Wrote: News story here:

Lamentation here:

It's another nail in the coffin for religion in Europe.
Dying to live, living to die.
The evangelicals just got the "heartbeat bill" passed here in Iowa where I live; wonder if there is going to be a back lash from the young voters here come November?
There was a right-wing catholick web site just the other day which was whining that Pope Fuckface did nothing to help defeat the measure.  The reason why turns out to be astonishingly simple.  The church it seems had correctly determined that its status had sunk so low in Ireland because of its repeated scandals that any attempt to interfere would backfire.

As it turns out, they are totally fucked and on their way to irrelevancy anyway.

And the FSM pronounced it "Good."
(May 28, 2018 at 9:18 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(May 28, 2018 at 9:13 pm)Jehanne Wrote: News story here:

Lamentation here:

It's another nail in the coffin for religion in Europe.

Pffft, what does abortion have to do with religion? I'm a pro-life non-believer myself like Hitchens was.
Moderator Notice
hide tags added for graphic image

This is terrible news.

Killing off your kids (essentially your genes and how you live on) is an immature and short-sided immoral decision.
The rcc is dead in Ireland amongst the young. The only reason they cling on to their zombie existence here is that the state allows the church dictate what goes on in 96% of primary and c. 85% of secondary schools and run the teacher training colleges. Hence you get an awful lot of conservatism and catholic rhetoric in Irish education (I estimated out of eight years primary education, between half hour a day of religious instruction and a month each to prepare for communion and confirmation two whole years is spent on catholoc religous instruction. Even rligious teachers are pissed off at this) and a few kids snagged every year, and anawful lot of doctrinaire tachers (used to be a problem to 10 years ago when teachers made up 1/3 of TDs).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I don't think that this is the end of Christianity or  another nail in the coffin for religion, religion has survived for centuries and will survive another... Wink
.. it's rather a shot in the heel of civilization itself ... look at the Germans, they didn't need to stricer an abortion laws, they have chosen themself the model "2 + dog" and now what ?... they are trying to get people to work because the nation is dying ... So if people want to kill their children, their choice ... free will ... but I don't have to approve of it..  but that's just me Big Grin
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
(May 29, 2018 at 6:38 am)Wololo Wrote: The rcc is dead in Ireland amongst the young.  The only reason they cling on to their zombie existence here is that the state allows the church dictate what goes on in 96% of primary and c. 85% of secondary schools and run the teacher training colleges.  Hence you get an awful lot of conservatism and catholic rhetoric in Irish education (I estimated out of eight years primary education, between half hour a day of religious instruction and a month each to prepare for communion and confirmation two whole years is spent on catholoc religous instruction.  Even rligious teachers are pissed off at this) and a few kids snagged every year, and anawful lot of doctrinaire tachers (used to be a problem to 10 years ago when teachers made up 1/3 of TDs).

Somewhat true. In my own experience, the RCC owns the education system at all levels. But the facts on the ground are that all of us chose to say **** you and the horse you rode in on. Nobody took it seriously when I was in school. One simply played a role for the nuns, brothers and priests.

It was mushroom technology at it's finest. Feed them any old **** and keep them in the dark.

(May 29, 2018 at 5:17 am)Whitewolf Wrote: This is terrible news.

Killing off your kids (essentially your genes and how you live on) is an immature and short-sided immoral decision.

The term is "short sighted".

It is not an immature decision, on the contrary, it is a genuine decision based on the welfare of the self and the child.

This is the problem with the "No" crowd. They are all about protecting the unborn, but after the child is actually born, they lose all interest in it's welfare.
Good for them!

Congrats Ireland.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1365 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  The Irish Are Making Up For Lost Time Minimalist 5 568 October 28, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Irish catholic church's latest scandal: Grindrgate! GUBU 4 2655 August 19, 2016 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Irish RCC Seminary has "Gay Culture" Fidel_Castronaut 0 1160 August 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 29136 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  An abortion in defense of the Bible. IanHulett 3 1377 July 19, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is promoting virginity harmful to young girls/women? Losty 59 12354 August 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The abortion paradox Ciel_Rouge 88 28102 September 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Only 26% of Irish Catholics believe in transubstantiation Ziploc Surprise 51 22318 June 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Article: "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?" Ziploc Surprise 45 20013 February 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas