Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 1:04 am

Poll: What will you choose to do?
This poll is closed.
I will choose to push the fat man onto the tracks.
28.57%
2 28.57%
I will choose to do nothing.
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
#1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem"
#23
RE: #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem"
(May 18, 2016 at 7:04 pm)Aroura Wrote: Likely I would freeze up. I might wish to save to 5 people. I might even be willing to kill one person to save 5 others, but the time factor involved in this particular scenario would likely not be enough time for me to process it all and feel certain enough to take that action.

Is the fat guy a scientist who has the cure for cancer and is on his way to publish it? Are the 5 people on the tracks all pedophiles and rapists? I don't know. The scenario just doesn't have enough info for me to take action, so I'd like take none as a form of indecision.

Also, even if I did want to push the fat guy, I'm 5' nothing and just over 100lbs. He probably wouldn't even notice me pushing, let alone actually fall down onto the tracks.


I get your point, but the chances that the fat guy would be extremely good and the five people extremely bad is extremely improbable. Knowing nothing in that situation, you should simply go with the numbers.

EP
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" - by Excited Penguin - May 18, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 6915 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 3075 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 2443 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 16707 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 46834 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 147573 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 13406 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Problem With Ayn Rand Mechaghostman2 9 4470 March 4, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  William Craig's problem with actual infinities. Jehanne 11 5142 February 2, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 13085 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)