Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 12:31 am

Poll: What will you choose to do?
This poll is closed.
I will choose to push the fat man onto the tracks.
28.57%
2 28.57%
I will choose to do nothing.
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
#1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem"
#53
RE: #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem"
(May 18, 2016 at 10:54 pm)Thena323 Wrote: I don't think a total of five individuals is necessarily sufficient enough to warrant the act of killing an individual in the name of "the greater good".

Tell that to the five families.  The only real issue at stake is you getting to look in the mirror and not see a killer.  You are weighing that value against the value of four human lives.  That you think not flipping the switching absolves you of the guilt of those 5 deaths, though their lives are clearly in your hands, seems inexplicable to me.  It's like you're saying, "La la la people die.  No blood on my hands!"

I care much less about whether I have blood on my hands actively or passively than I care about 5 people I could save.  If I have to burn in psychological torment, constantly dreaming about that poor 1 guy who got smooshed, then it's my duty as a citizen to accept the psychological consequences of my actions and save the 5 anyway.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" - by bennyboy - May 19, 2016 at 12:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 6914 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 3075 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 2443 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 16707 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 46834 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 147569 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 13406 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Problem With Ayn Rand Mechaghostman2 9 4470 March 4, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  William Craig's problem with actual infinities. Jehanne 11 5142 February 2, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 13085 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)