Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions For USians Who Know More About US Politics Than I Do
RE: Questions For USians Who Know More About US Politics Than I Do
(June 27, 2016 at 10:43 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 10:37 am)mlmooney89 Wrote: I'm off in my own little world here but why do we keep getting called USians? That isn't what we are called. We are Americans...

So are Canadians and Mexicans. And Brazilians, and Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Argentinians - and so on. Just saying.

The whole point of names are to call someone what they want to be called. Someone introduces themselves as Mandy but you know their name is legally Amanda you don't call them Amanda you call them Mandy as they asked. People of the United States of America call ourselves American so we should be called that by everyone. The whole calling Asians oriental is wrong not because it is racist but because they don't call themselves that. Oriental means from the east and someone in Asia wouldn't consider themselves the east from where they are therefore they wouldn't call themselves oriental meaning others shouldn't.

When talking about countries the Canadians and Mexicans and such have their own country names and are called by those names. Also you don't say hey I'm American when talking about continents you say I'm North or South American because leaving out the north or south leaves way too much open. I have literally never heard anyone say they were American and weren't from the US (and my fiancé's family are native Peruvians) The whole world knows that the term American means from the US and to call us something we aren't named is just snobbish. You don't see people from Namibia claiming to be South African just because they are in the south of Africa. No that name is reserved for South Africans from South Africa. Our name actually has the word America in it so it makes sense to name us Americans. If someone needs to specify that we aren't in fact Canadian they could use the word Canadian to talk about Canada or Brazilian for Brazil. Cause that is in their respective names.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions For USians Who Know More About US Politics Than I Do - by mlmooney89 - June 27, 2016 at 10:52 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2779 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 8386 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 342 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 854 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 554 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1630 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 1103 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 414 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Defeating Trump is more important than all of us" Foxaèr 44 4088 March 15, 2020 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Politics WinterHold 23 1733 January 20, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger