Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there another motivation for christian belief?
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief?
(September 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: When I analyze all the motivations I can think of they all come down to fear.

I won't go to heaven.
I will go to hell.
I won't be accepted.
I will be alone.
I won't be loved.
I won't be comforted.
And on and on.

When I boil any motivation down I come up with fear. Frankly, that's pretty fucked up.

Then once you're in, other motivations take over. Power, money, manipulation, superiority, .............

I disagree.

There was a period during the reformation where Protestants were being tortured and killed by the Catholic church. If fear is such a powerful motivator, why did the Catholic church fail?

http://www.ccel.org/f/foxe/martyrs/fox116.htm
Quote:When Dr. Taylor had arrived at Aldham Common, the place where he should suffer, seeing a great multitude of people, he asked, "What place is this, and what meaneth it that so much people are gathered hither?" It was answered, "It is Aldham Common, the place where you must suffer; and the people have come to look upon you." Then he said, "Thanked be God, I am even at home"; and he alighted from his horse and with both hands rent the hood from his head.

His head had been notched and clipped like as a man would clip a fool's; which cost the good bishop Bonner had bestowed upon him. But when the people saw his reverend and ancient face, with a long white beard, they burst out with weeping tears, and cried, saying: "God save thee, good Dr. Taylor! Jesus Christ strengthen thee, and help thee! the Holy Ghost comfort thee!" with such other like good wishes.

When he had prayed, he went to the stake and kissed it, and set himself into a pitch barrel, which they had put for him to stand in, and stood with his back upright against the stake, with his hands folded together, and his eyes towards heaven, and continually prayed.

They then bound him with the chains, and having set up the fagots, one Warwick cruelly cast a fagot at him, which struck him on his head, and cut his face, sot hat the blood ran down. Then said Dr. Taylor, "O friend, I have harm enough; what needed that?"

Sir John Shelton standing by, as Dr. Taylor was speaking, and saying the Psalm Miserere in English, struck him on the lips:

"You knave," he said, "speak Latin: I will make thee." At last they kindled the fire; and Dr. Taylor holding up both his hands, calling upon God, and said, "Merciful Father of heaven! for Jesus Christ, my Savior's sake, receive my soul into Thy hands!" So he stood still without either crying or moving, with his hands folded together, until Soyce, with a halberd struck him on the head until his brains fell out, and the corpse fell down into the fire.

Thus rendered up this man of God his blessed soul into the hands of his merciful Father, and to his most dear Savior Jesus Christ, whom he most entirely loved, faithfully and earnestly preached, obediently followed in living, and constantly glorified in death.
Excerpt from - FOX'S BOOK OF MARTYRS

The above is the epitome of bravery, not fear.

Messages In This Thread
Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by brewer - September 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Huggy Bear - September 19, 2016 at 7:50 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 11:10 am
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:11 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:54 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 5 233 May 19, 2024 at 9:52 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1430 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7859 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Another christian complains Foxaèr 6 1135 December 10, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90983 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Belief Catharsis 57 4465 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 22308 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
  The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? Dnte 212 35911 February 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2911 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1264 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey