Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness
RE: Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness
(September 21, 2016 at 10:34 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(September 21, 2016 at 1:20 am)fdesilva Wrote: Location of events

Given the above nature of nerve impulses and the transmission of neurotransmitters at synapses the following would be true  about their location over time.

Let the Nerve impulses and activity at nerve synapses in the brain at any given time be enclosed in the smallest possible virtual spherical globes( image below).

Then over any length of time these globes  will never intersect.

That's an awfully fancy way to say that neurons don't disconnect themselves, walk over to their neighbors, shake hands, and merge.

If so then it's also wrong. Neurons do break and form connections with other neurons.

It actually makes perfect sense. Hebbian learning is taken in its simplest sense to mean that neurons that fire together, wire together. Connections strengthen and weaken over time due to how the pre- and post- synaptic neuron fire. There's very little difference between having a very weak synaptic connection between two neurons and no connection at all. Synaptic drift therefore is a longer term extension to hebbian learning.

I've used this in order to tailor how I learn German for example. I can keep words in short and medium term memory, but I accept that no matter how much I learn, it will take time for it to enter long term memory. This is because my brain needs to grow the connections. So I use a scatter gun approach of trying to expose myself to as many words as possible as early as possible

I personally reckon that this is why we think that children master languages so much more effectively. No one expects them to have a good vocabulary and the same smaller set of words and grammars are presented to them for longer. There are certain things in German that are as natural to me as English because I learnt them much longer ago.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness - by I_am_not_mafia - September 21, 2016 at 11:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2660 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4967 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 56960 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14536 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5697 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4035 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5712 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 45881 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"? Mudhammam 253 43008 June 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can Consciousness Best Be Explained by God's Existence? Rayaan 80 15196 March 31, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Rayaan