Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good read on consciousness
Good read on consciousness
https://aeon.co/essays/consciousness-is-...ory-belief

Excerpt:

Quote:... That way of thinking is, in fact, appealing to some greedy reductionists, but it truly is silly for the simple reason that it is unworkable. And it is unworkable because, when it comes to human understanding, different levels of description are useful for different purposes.

If we are interested in the biochemistry of the brain, then the proper level of description is the subcellular one, taking lower levels (eg, the quantum one) as background conditions. If we want a broader picture of how the brain works, we need to move up to the anatomical level, which takes all previous levels, from the subcellular to the quantum one, as background conditions.

But if we want to talk to other human beings about how we feel and what we are experiencing, then it is the psychological level of description (the equivalent of Dennett’s icons and cursors) that, far from being illusory, is the most valuable. Which is why Paul and Patricia Churchland’s old 
 – that we should replace ‘folk psychology’ talk about, say, pain, with more ‘scientific’ talk of the firing of C-fibres (part of the neural substrate that makes feeling pain possible) – truly was silly. It’s just not going to happen, no more than all of us end-users of computers will suddenly learn machine-language, and forgo cursors and icons. 
When illusionists argue that what we experience as qualia are ‘nothing like’ our actual internal mental mechanisms, they are, in a sense, right. But they also seem to forget that everything we perceive about the outside world is a representation and not the thing-in-itself. Take the visual system, which as I mentioned above is one of the best-understood instances of access consciousness, and which makes phenomenal consciousness possible. Our eyes in reality perceive a very narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum, determined by the specific environment in which we have evolved as social primates, as well as by the type of radiation that comes from the Sun and passes through the filters of Earth’s atmosphere. There is, in other words, a hell of a lot that we don’t see. At all.

Think of consciousness as a weakly emergent phenomenon, not dissimilar from the wetness of water.
RE: Good read on consciousness
Consciousness is for people who can handle large volumes of alcohol....

Naughty
It reads like it was written by an illusionist who objects to the use of the term illusion. I think the author is confused, but very passionate about things not being illusions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I enjoyed the essay. It doesn't make a lot of claims, so it is easy to agree.

I have some attachment to the "consciousness is an illusion" idea, but I prefer to think of it as an emergent process.

It is an illusion in the sense that the mind is presenting it to us a some sort of whole. Our "self". That presentation hides the complex underpinnings of what the mind is doing, and how our consciousness is a narrow filtered view of the actions of the mind.

The brain does what it does. It needs the conscious mind to make decisions and game what-if scenarios. The mind filters the noise down to those things it needs "us" to be aware of.

I think that the "self" is an evolutionary construct that our survival relies on, and consciousness is a high-level emergent process. As the essay says, we will know more when we probe the limits of AI, and our knowledge of neuro-biology. There will always be a place for philosophers as "story tellers", but science is the tool that will best inform religion and mysticism.
Admittedly, my reading is limited on the topic of consciousness. Nevertheless, I have read various thoughts shared by couple sides to this debate, and I wonder if there is a major miscommunication happening between those two sides.

Sean Carroll, who is an emergentist when it comes to the mind, sees consciousness as another way of expressing reality at a particular level of analysis. In effect, he is in agreement with a lot of thinkers who lean towards a strictly materialist point of view. On the other hand, you have David Chalmers (famous for coining the phrase "the hard problem" when it comes to consciousness) and based on what little I've read from him, it does seem like some people (and as smart as they are) just don't seem to appreciate what the difficulty is exactly and seem to be focusing on some different aspect that David Chalmers and other thinkers like him aren't referring to when it comes to the hard problem.

As for the illusionist perspective, which isn't that different from the emergentist perspective really (I think), it's basically the same thing. There appears to be a lack of appreciation of what the problem is.
In the illusionist perspective, consciousness isn't an emergent phenomena, phenomenal experience is a misrepresentation of symbolic language.

It's subtle, but important. Yes, the illusionist position agrees that all of this machinery is emergent in the sense that it arose by naturally self organizing means - but qualia are not meaningfully real in the illusionists pov. That's part of the machine, not an object being observed...not something that any "we" apprehends. Not that there is a you experiencing what it's like to be - that this is a report of states meaningful to the operation of our brain but not necessarily tied to the content of the report.

One of the problems right now, the meta-illusion problem, is that it's looking for all the world like either the illusionists or the dualists have it right. Unless we find the little man that amounts to us somewhere in there, consciousness is not at all like it reports itself to be..or it's made of stuff that we simply cannot detect. We intuitively recoil at illusionism...but the dualists never seem to get anything right. Rock and a hard place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"The only times we are conscious are when we are thinking about consciousness." tm
If hard determinism (e.g., "no free will") is, in fact (philosophical realism) true, how could one ever know that?  But, in not knowing something to be true, does such make it not true?  It's kind of like a Cosmos that had no beginning, and is infinite, both in time and space, into the past.  Such may be true, but how could we ever know such?

The problem with saying that free will exists is, in fact, it does not, at least in certain circumstances.  A clinician could go on and on (and, on) here, but the fact is that no one (not even Trump or his most adherent supporters) would accuse an Alzheimer's patient of having "chosen" to have forgotten the names of his/her grandchildren (or, the fact that they have grandchildren.)

That our brains create our minds (hence, no brain, no mind) is the simplest explanation of reality.  From the Conservation Laws at one end ("Does a soul violate the Conservation of Electric Charge?") to Broca's Aphasia at the the other with countless neurological, pharmacological or other fMRI studies in between, not to mention consciousness in animals, one can and should conclude that an immaterial soul does not exist, at least to the extant that one can and should conclude the fairies do not exist.  That atheistic materialism is falsifiable (an OBE where one "sees" remotely concealed objects) means that it is, from a scientific POV, at least testable.  As with the 2020 election results, some people in our Society have shown that they are capable of believing almost anything.
To be really careful with the knife, illusionism can be, at least it's asserted to be by some of it's most well known advocates, compatible with free will.
(January 8, 2021 at 12:32 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: To be really careful with the knife, illusionism can be, at least it's asserted to be by some of it's most well known advocates, compatible with free will.

I am not a compatibilist; quasi-hard determinism would be my POV.  It's unknowable and unprovable, but, it's likely true; and, tragically, countless care centers and group homes (not to mention prisons and death rows) are filled with salient examples.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4459 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 54836 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13540 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5448 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3898 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13545 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
Question How does one respond to this argument?It's long but an interesting read. Thanks :) fruyian 44 6854 May 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5390 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Just read this and tell me what you think. rary 75 9447 June 3, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 43635 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge