Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How could we trust our consciousness ?!
How could we trust our consciousness ?!
If consciousness is a product of evolution, how can we trust its outputs?

Do not we live in a bubble .. Illusion of knowledge?
RE: How could we trust our consciousness ?!
At work.

It would seem that a creature's self awareness is, in fact, generally a by product of natural processes.

As for 'How can we trust it?'

I am not a solipsist but I have little more than a quip to reply to the 'Brain in a jar' postulate.

Otherwise it is our continued functionality and survival that can be used as a metric for/against the claim.
(December 26, 2018 at 1:53 am)zainab Wrote: If consciousness is a product of evolution, how can we trust its outputs?

We probably shouldn't, lol.  At least not unreservedly (and we really don't, anyway..most of us at least understand the concept of our mind playing tricks on us - we know it's a thing).  

The brain is a tool for finding lunch, not truth.  I regard the latter as a happy (or tragic) coincidence.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 26, 2018 at 2:27 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 26, 2018 at 1:53 am)zainab Wrote: If consciousness is a product of evolution, how can we trust its outputs?

We probably shouldn't, lol.  At least not unreservedly (and we really don't, anyway..most of us at least understand the concept of our mind playing tricks on us - we know it's a thing).  

The brain is a tool for finding lunch, not truth.  I regard the latter as a happy (or tragic) coincidence.

This means that the only truth we can trust is what our stomachs say  Hungry

What's this "we" stuff, figment-of-my-imagination?

jk-- I make certain philosophical decisions just because they give context to my actions.  If I don't believe other people are real, then my interactions with them are relatively meaningless.  I might as well just jerk off on a bus all day, or run naked down Main Street shouting about building the "best wall anyone's ever seen," and when the police come, I can tell them that since they aren't real, I don't care if they hit me with a night stick.
(December 26, 2018 at 3:39 am)bennyboy Wrote:

jk-- I make certain philosophical decisions just because they give context to my actions.  If I don't believe other people are real, then my interactions with them are relatively meaningless.  I might as well just jerk off on a bus all day, or run naked down Main Street shouting about building the "best wall anyone's ever seen," and when the police come, I can tell them that since they aren't real, I don't care if they hit me with a night stick.
Hilarious  
Very convincing

Look I am not an idealist! I think the world dose exist, but it is impossible to perceive it.
Can't be impossible to perceive if you perceive that it exists.  More an issue of how reliable you take those perceptions to be in their specifics, eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You trust/use it, cause it's THE best you got. You just realize it's not prefect in it's analyses of THE world around you.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
If you have a better option ...
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Trust me. The illusory cops are even bigger assholes than the real ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3674 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2433 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12118 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 55593 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13757 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5470 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3910 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  If You Could Choose Your Own Desires Edwardo Piet 34 3319 November 12, 2016 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13874 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5405 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch