Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there another motivation for christian belief?
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief?
(September 21, 2016 at 1:51 pm)RobertE Wrote:
(September 21, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Drich Wrote: ...And this is why people think i am a sociopath:

Obviously, you have the mental wherewithal to formulate and defend your reasoning for disbelief in God, so then why could you not be held to the same standard I am without headaches? You expended the same mental energy to reach a place for or against God. so then why not be held to your lack of action or inaction? Does feeling sorry for yourself or pushing me to a position to feel sorry for you somehow lessen your 'moral responsibilities?' No absolutely not. You said "as a people we are lead to believe." Do you not know as an individual you are responsible for your own salvation through the atonement Christ offers? This means you being lead to believe anything is foolishness of your own doing. If your reading this you could just as easy read the bible, follow through some of the promises given and find the relief God has offered you, but again that is not what you did. You found a group of like minded people who believe God's only cure is to 'magic the bad away.' Well He didn't why? because that is not what He said do to find the relief you seek. Yet you hung your whole belief system on what like minded people think of God rather than doing your own research and finding out what God wants you to do.

Just so we are clear. You do not even understand the defination of prayer if you said you prayed for relief. That again is not prayer. we have only one example of prayer and healing of any kind is not apart of what makes a prayer. Healing is a form of petition, not prayer. Prayer is asking God to change you to use things like your headaches to better your understanding of Him and your role in life. Prayer is not to Change God's mind about your lot, it is about changing your mind to work with what you are given.

Petition is our way to ask God to change our lot in life. that is what you were doing, not praying.

So did God answer your prayer? Well, first of all you never prayed. Or rather what you listed out was not a prayer, therefore your conclusions based on what you did are based on a bad understanding of who and what God is. The only thing you proved is that your VERSION of the God of the bible does not exists.

Your fatal flaw? Pride, It's not wrong to build and hold a bad understand of God. What is not forgivable is to assume when the real God send the rains to knock down your foolish understanding that, because your first effort of trying to understand God was wrong, that no other version could possibly exist.

Let us make one thing perfectly clears shall we. I do not look for sympathy from anyone.
Your youtube video says contradicts your claim. Otherwise why not simply state your condition and actually wait to I misidentify your condition to attempt educate. Education BEFORE any indication of a misunderstanding of your situation is someone bleat for sympathy.
Quote: These are my problems and I will resolve them in my own way like I have done for decades. You do realise that Cluster Headaches is the most painful thing to happen to a human being in medical science.
Here we go again.. Baaaa Baaaa Baaaaaaaaaa (the sound hurt sheep makes)

Quote:I prayed to your god years ago and it got me nowhere.
If you would stop feeling sorry for yourself long enough to actually read anything I wrote (rather than simply looking for key words to argue) You will notice My Whole arguement centers around the Fact that you NEVER Prayed to God concerning your headaches. YOU PETITIONED God To Take them away.

Again I know you never prayed because your still bitching about your head hurting after you performed a formal wishing ceremony that in your religion you call a prayer. But again know according to the bible and the God of the bible (not the god you made up that grants wishes/prayers in exchange for belief) YOU NEVER ONCE PRAYED Concerning any of this.

Quote:So, I looked for alternatives, but the only one that came to me was belief in myself to conquer it. As for petition or praying, what on earth are you talking about?
It has been explained in detail

In short what you think is prayer is petition.

Prayer is asking God to change your mind about you lot in life to benfit His will. (God use these headaches whatever way you can so I may have a deeper connection or understand of who you are)

Petition is you trying to get or convince God to change you life's circumstance. (God my head hurts, take away these head aches. Do so and I will follow you. Don't and I will know there is no God.)

Prayer is meant to change our minds, not for us to change God's mind. God will Always answer Prayer. (given time)
Petition is meant as a way for us to ask God for stuff we want. Healing, lotto ticket, 2016 bmw X5 Xdrive I35, that girl that I like, all the crap that people want to trade God for our faiths.

Quote: I wanted him to cure me,
Still a petition sport. We have one example of prayer it opens with a greeting and general recognition of who God is and his Power and authority over us and out lives. Meaning whatever He says goes. Next a prayer or a prayer must learn to want or express God's will and dominion over everything in this world including our lives. Which means we must want or want to want God will to even superceed our own pain or circumstance. Next we are directed to ask God for what we need for the Day. That's is the extent of what we are allowed to ask for in this formal setting. Then we acknowledgment and ask God to only forgive our sins to the same degree we forgive other people. Meaning if we can't forgive someone who has done us wrong we ask God to send us to Hell to be consumed by the fire prepared for Satan. As the sin debt we owe God far exceeds and sin debt owed to us, and if we can not forgive such a small debt, then god should not forgive our huge debt. Then we are prompted to ask God to keep us from temptation and save us from evil, then we ask all of this in the Name of Christ.

That is all prayer is and can ever be.

You asking God for anything else has been identified in scripture as petition.
Quote:not ask him for a loan to buy a house. Is that not too much to ask from when I was a believer?
Again. Prayer is not about asking for anything. Asking is petition.

Quote: When you are constantly bombarded to "pray", each night so that everything comes true, only to be let down by some fictional bullshit, then I prefer to trust my own instincts and tell myself that God doesn't exist, otherwise he would have cured me. Since then, I have two conditions; Epilepsy and cluster headaches, two disabilities that will never be cured and should there happen to be a miracle for people like myself in the future, it will not be down to your God, but to Science.
Sounds to me that God has made a provision for people like you/people who suffer as you do. In that God has made the "sticky ickie, and Grape Kush" for people like you.. But it seem your too butt hurt to acknowledge who God actually is and what He has done because you were given a magical cure or the fact that God has not followed your magical expectations.

Messages In This Thread
Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by brewer - September 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 11:10 am
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:11 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:54 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief? - by Drich - September 21, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 5 256 May 19, 2024 at 9:52 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1436 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7898 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Another christian complains Foxaèr 6 1146 December 10, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91094 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Belief Catharsis 57 4492 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 22359 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
  The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? Dnte 212 36686 February 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2914 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1264 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey