Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 9:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudo-Christians, you missed Jesus' SECOND COMING!
RE: Pseudo-Christians, you missed Jesus' SECOND COMING!
(December 30, 2016 at 10:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 29, 2016 at 9:43 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: What gives you the idea that Christians must abide by Jewish law?

Um.  Matty.

Quote: Matthew 5:17-20English Standard Version (ESV)

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Min, I was hoping the op would answer...

We get accused of cherry picking yet many athiests will pick an isolated scripture (knowing full well they haven't actually read themselves), that would have been explained had they read a little further.

It also says in Matthew:

Quote:Matthew 22:36-40

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
*emphasis mine*

The only law a Christian is under is Love.

1 John 4: 7-21

Quote:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
*emphasis mine*
You cannot enter Heaven without perfect love, for love covers a multitude of sin. (1 Peter 4:8)

Therefore if one is perfected in love, what law does he need? For the sole purpose of the law to condemn, there is no condemnation in love, and the only way to achieve perfect love is to receive the spirit of God (Holy spirit), which is only made possible through the shed blood of Christ.

Galatians 3:24-25

Quote:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

What you and the OP are referring to is the old covenant, but did not God promise to make a new covenant?

Jeremiah 31:31-34

Quote:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
*emphasis mine*

So while it is true that Jesus did not abolish the law, he made it possible to to be free from condemnation under the law. Those that refuse to accept grace are condemned under the law, and the only thing left for them is judgement.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pseudo-Christians, you missed Jesus' SECOND COMING! - by Huggy Bear - December 31, 2016 at 7:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covid-19 second wave WinterHold 58 7382 August 11, 2020 at 6:50 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1421 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 23562 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1070 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5349 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  ★★ [4.3 SECOND conversion] ★★: CONVERT religious to atheist, in roughly 4.3 seconds. ProgrammingGodJordan 118 10975 January 18, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  NEW Religion - Cobainism Second coming of Jesus Cobainism 73 7115 November 27, 2016 at 7:17 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 45538 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11147 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Second Coming? downbeatplumb 18 3833 March 9, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: catman