Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it true that there is no absolute morality?
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality?
(March 8, 2017 at 10:54 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Okay.  Give an example of an opinion that is subjectively true, but not objectively true, and demonstrate that it is so.  It should be simple-- state any opinion you have.

We have been over this. In fact, we reached agreement on this. "Chocolate ice cream is the best" is only subjectively true.

You seem to be running around in circles, demanding repetition of already-established points for no reason. I am not certain what point it is that you think you are making here.

(March 8, 2017 at 10:54 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I kind of sense this thread is done, because nobody is saying anything original or substantial enough to merit a philosophical discussion.

Substantial posts have been made, benny.

The subject of this thread is whether or not objective morality (that is, the nebulous, generally theistic position that an "absolute" moral code exists, and that certain actions are always, objectively, right or wrong) can be said to exist. It cannot, since there isn't even a coherent definition for "objective morality", because morality is a value system, and value systems are by definition subjective. This is substantial.

It just doesn't leave the door open for... whatever point you want to make, apparently, so you've spent a long time trying to argue that the definitions of "subjective" and "objective" are not the definitions of "subjective" and "objective", roped in a lot of incoherent statements about "agency", and so on. You claim that others' obsession with dictionary definitions is keeping them from making any sort of substantive point about morality and the human condition, or whatever, but haven't actually made any point about it yourself. You've just asserted that some things are objective that aren't objective for reasons that have nothing to do with the definition of "objective", and so on for "subjective" as well. You are effectively railing against the dictionary itself.

No one here is against having a discussion about morality and its relation to human society, or what have you. But you keep misusing terms, saying that it proves some sort of point without establishing what that point is, and then blaming others for not contributing to the discussion when they point out your misuse of terms has rendered your entire argument incoherent, even without getting into the fact that it's never been clear what your point was to begin with.

And then you tell them that their pointing out your misuse of terms is somehow a fault on their part.

It is, quite frankly, bizarre, and I have no idea what it is you think you're going to prove by it.
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by RozKek - February 19, 2017 at 12:19 pm
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by Astreja - February 19, 2017 at 12:14 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by brewer - February 20, 2017 at 10:28 pm
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by SteveII - February 22, 2017 at 11:01 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by SteveII - February 27, 2017 at 10:33 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by Azu - February 24, 2017 at 1:26 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by Nonpareil - March 8, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2175 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4138 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3957 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1631 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11006 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 40280 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1397 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8449 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3642 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4557 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm