Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 2:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
(March 20, 2017 at 12:21 pm)alpha male Wrote:
Quote:Where would you like your tax dollars to go?

Actually I'd like them to stay in my pocket as much as possible.

If you're being honest the question should really be, Where would you like other people's tax dollars to go?
Don't assume others feel the same as you do. I know it's hard to imagine sometimes, when you have selfish tendancies, to try and see things from other perspectives. Thats why I asked the question, to see other perspectives. Thank you for being honest about yours, though.

Since I'm not not an utterly selfish twat, I'm actually fine with a portion of my money going to pay for public things. Roads, museums, schools, etc. Even things I don't personally use, like public schools, are important. I actually feel real emotional empathy for the suffering of others, so find it important to reduce that suffering, and improve lives. Durang all the years I worked, I never balked or felt resenful at the taxes I paid. I didnt like everything my taxes paid for, but that's why i voted on where my local taxes would be spent.

Even if you go from a selfish perspective, helping others is important. You see, it benefits me for everyone to have a good education, because it reduces crime, and improves public health and general wellbeing. It's good for everyone when your gas station attendant can read and follow directions. It helps everyone when a widowed elderly person has adequate care, because someday that might be your parent, or even you. It is good when the child of a single mother living in a poor neighborhood has access to after school programs, so mom can work and the kid has something more productive to do than join a gang. If they are all happy and healthy, then they have less chance of doing something that negatively impacts my life.

Ive noticed a really interesting pattern, something i find truly curious. The majority of non religious or semi religious folks i know, talk to, or see discussing this topic are. more concerned for the welfare of the poor and disenfranchised than the majority of those claiming to be deeply religious, particularly Christians. Ive seen some Christians express this same confusion. They follow Christ in word and deed, and cannot understand why so many others who call themselves Christians disdain the very people Christ said to help.
I guess your own wallet is more important than the teachings of man-god you claim to follow.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Aroura - March 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by KUSA - March 18, 2017 at 12:12 am
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Aroura - March 20, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 912 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 981 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2606 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 976 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3671 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2701 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP says 90% of Workers get Tax Cut Neo-Scholastic 64 5686 February 4, 2018 at 12:13 am
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6421 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The GOP's turd of a tax bill Jackalope 34 4411 November 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1340 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am