Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
popeyespappy Wrote:
Mister Agenda Wrote:I question that 130 billion (around 25% of the total military budget) a year combined with current payments (around 400 billion) would not begin to pay down the debt. That's like saying that if I'm meeting the minimum payment on my debts and increased what I'm paying by 35%, I wouldn't get out of debt sooner, or at least go into debt slower, depending on the terms. The debt has been growing (nearly 20 trillion dollars now) because of course we've been borrowing more than we've been repaying, not unusual in a recession (or a war followed by a recession). Paying more than the minimum without increasing borrowing will reduce it.

The problem with what you're saying is reducing spending by $130 billion doesn't balance the budget. Annual spending will still be more than annual revenue. We are still going to be borrowing, and the debt will continue to rise until we stop borrowing. Completely zeroing out defense spending wouldn't balance the budget.  

[Image: CBO_Infographic_2016.png]

Zeroing out the defense budget would have negative effects as well. Not the least of which is 6 million more people (about 5% of the workforce) would suddenly become unemployed. That would double the unemployment rate, and probably send us into another depression. That would reduce revenue and make it even harder to balance the budget.

Don't get me wrong. I think we should reduce spending starting with defense. I think we should increase tax revenue starting with raising social security and medicare taxes. We need to get to the point where we can start paying down the debt. Getting there without crashing the economy is going to be the equivalent of juggling chainsaws and flaming cats while riding a unicycle across a loose tightrope in gale force winds. It ain't going to be easy.

I feel kind of bad about not claiming it would balance the budget, considering all the work you're putting into refuting that claim.

A: Hey, I'm paying $100 a month on this card, but I need to be paying $150 just to not go farther in debt. I found something in my budget to cut that will let me pay $125 a month.

B: No, don't do that! Your budget still won't be balanced!
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Aroura - March 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by KUSA - March 18, 2017 at 12:12 am
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Mister Agenda - March 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 897 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 969 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2592 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 967 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3650 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2692 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP says 90% of Workers get Tax Cut Neo-Scholastic 64 5671 February 4, 2018 at 12:13 am
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6376 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The GOP's turd of a tax bill Jackalope 34 4375 November 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1335 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am