Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
(March 22, 2017 at 3:45 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(March 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: Implementing a single payer healthcare system in the US is probably harder than balancing the budget.

How would you do it?

Find out how much it would cost to provide reasonable health care for people and set a tax to cover the cost making sure that the wealthy actually pais and didn't mamage to weasel out of it.

According to the article I just read America spent $3.35 trillion on healthcare in 2016. According to them that's $10,335 per person. That's $3.35 trillion divided by everybody so it includes a bunch of people that needed reasonable healthcare, but didn't get it because they couldn't afford it. If they had gotten care the bottom line would have been larger. The article also said we could expect a 4.8% inflation rate for healthcare. Tie that to a 0.7% population growth rate and by 2050 we are looking at $20.9 trillion total and $50,886 each per year not including the percentage of people that don't get healthcare today. That is unsustainable so I guess we'd be safe calling it unreasonable.

So how do you determine what it would take to provide reasonable care for people? A large percentage of the cost is driven by care for old and dying people. A few years back we lost my 95 year old uncle. The bill for his healthcare the last for weeks of his life was probably more than the cost for the previous 95 years. Is that reasonable? Do we just tell our parents and grand parents sorry we can't afford you so just go home and die?

Do we just set an arbitrary number? Do we just say healthcare in Germany costs half of what it does here so we are going to set medicare taxes to raise $1.675 trillion (a huge fucking increase) and call it good? The revenue target might be reasonable, but I don't know if many of our healthcare providers could survive if we cut their revenues in half. I was at the smaller of our two local hospitals last Friday. While there I walked through the doctor's parking area. I was surprised by the large percentage of old Buicks and worn old Toyotas I saw. Our doctors and hospitals have to carry huge amounts of liability insurance to protect them. Many of the doctors graduate college with a medical degree and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt that most doctors in Germany don't have. How do we insure they make enough revenue to survive? Many healthcare providers, especially the young ones don't make so much money that they can afford to see their income cut in half. How do we protect them?

It's a complex problem. There is no easy way to implement a sustainable single payer system in the US without putting the health of our healthcare system at risk. It can be done, but it is going to require some fundamental changes in other areas such as education and tort reform. Changes like that take time and careful planning. I have my doubts whether or not our elected government is up to task even if they had the will.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Aroura - March 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by KUSA - March 18, 2017 at 12:12 am
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by popeyespappy - March 22, 2017 at 8:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 897 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 972 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2593 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 967 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3659 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2695 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP says 90% of Workers get Tax Cut Neo-Scholastic 64 5677 February 4, 2018 at 12:13 am
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6380 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The GOP's turd of a tax bill Jackalope 34 4380 November 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1336 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am