Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go?
(March 22, 2017 at 11:09 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(March 22, 2017 at 10:45 am)popeyespappy Wrote: I've already mentioned a couple of the big additional cost drivers in liability insurance and education costs.

Profits of health insurance and health providers are of course another target for cost reduction. But those profits are probably not as big a portion of the overall cost as many assume. For one thing only 18% of American Hospitals operate as for profit enterprises. 20% are government facilities, and 62% of American hospitals operate as non-profits. So in 82% of our hospitals there are no profit margins to cut. The 18% that do operate as for profits average a little less than a 9% margin. That means the most savings you could see cutting the profits of hospitals would be 1.62% of the total. Reality is it would be a lot less than that because hospital revenue doesn't account for 100% of the total cost.

Insurance companies operate at a lower margin than hospitals. According to some sources as low as 3.3%. But once again health insurance revenues aren't even close to 100% of the total so zeroing out those margins altogether might save another 1.6% of the total. Best case scenario we'd probably be looking at a 3% savings by getting rid of hospital and health insurance profits. Maybe none at all if the government can't manage billing and payments at least as efficiently as the for profits.

Drug company margins are another cost reduction target. One that could pay some substantial dividends since US pharmaceutical companies averaged a 23.5% margin last year. But once again drug costs account for less than 10% of total healthcare expenditures so at the most we'd be looking at a 2.35% savings off the bottom line. Add all those profits together and we'd be looking at a maximum savings of maybe 6%. That would have brought last years per capita healthcare expansive down from $10,335 to $9,715. It is something but not nearly enough to supply healthcare to Americans that don't currently get any without raising the overall cost.

I see those numbers and have no cause to doubt them.
But something must be wrong somewhere, because it's obvious the US is spending much more on healthcare per capita than most other countries, while leaving a large swath of the population unable to access medical care.
The money is going somewhere... somewhere it doesn't go on this side of the Atlantic.
Maybe there are redundancies in place that double or treble the actual cost of procedures?
Maybe the non-profits are doing some creative accounting?
Maybe something else, or a messy combination of many bits and pieces?...
You guys tell me.

Nonprofits earn extra money they just can't pay it out to investors. Most of it is reinvested in the nonprofit or used to fund charitable activities.

Yes a messy combination of many bits and pieces. I don't know how to fix it, and as far as I know no one else does either. As I said, I'm open to suggestions.

I'll ask those of you with single payer systems this. What you have now is apparently working now, but is it sustainable? What will your per capita costs for healthcare be in another 30 years?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by Aroura - March 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by KUSA - March 18, 2017 at 12:12 am
RE: Where would you like your tax dollars to go? - by popeyespappy - March 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 912 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 981 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2606 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 976 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3671 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2701 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP says 90% of Workers get Tax Cut Neo-Scholastic 64 5686 February 4, 2018 at 12:13 am
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6421 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The GOP's turd of a tax bill Jackalope 34 4411 November 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1340 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am