Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our theists of all labels please answer....
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer....
(April 24, 2017 at 2:42 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(April 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No, a science lab is the only place to determine facts.

Do not confuse history or news or metaphor as having the same qualities. That is not the same category nor should it be treated the same.

WHEN you want to find out the effects of gravity on an object, that is done through neutral experiment and neutral peer review.

"The New England Patriots won the Super Bowl" while a factual observation, is not an attempt to say "Since they won that makes Apollo the one real god".

"Donald Trump became president" also while provable fact, is not trying to prove Allah to be the one true God.

Historians report facts, like a reporter.
News reporters also SHOULD , not that they always do, report facts, not pander to what people like to hear.
Anthropologists are also reporters, but not to sell you something, but to say, "These are our neutral observations as to what we recorded as to how this society lived and what they believed", but again, that is also not a sales pitch.

I like Star Wars because the underdog beats the bully. Yea, but again, also not a scientific fact, but a metaphor reflection or human reaction to a threat, done in fictional form.

If you are attempting to point to a religious club, you are not merely reporting, you are selling and a sales pitch is an apology, not neutral reporting.

Is your first statement a fact?

Also your comment about the factual observation about the superbowl seems to contradict your first statement (or was the winner of the superbowl determined in a science lab?)
I'm suspecting more and more, that you are not very neutral in this subject!  

But that all facts are only found in a science lab is self refuting, but we can continue or move on to another principle if you like.

Yes and no inconsistency on my part so KNOCK IT OFF.

If you are going to agree with me that a science lab is where you determine SCIENTIFIC FACT, then stop being half assed about it.

You are trying to falsely paint me as being hypocritical which I am not being.

You are trying to confuse the issue of CONTEXT of how the word "fact" is used in determining scientific reality, so you can later go " AH HA, therefore religion is equal to a lab".

NOPE it is not.

A history of recorded claims do not make the claims true, otherwise Ra is a real God because the Egyptians had a history of believing that for 3,000 years. 

You are trying to treat your definition of "fact" as being equal in every context, which allows you to pretend the word is being used the same.

Religion will NEVER replace a telescope, or microscope. One is what people invent and sell and like, and the other are tools that produce objective universal FACT.

Scientific method is why we know gravity affects time, which is why if a Muslim uses a GPS device in Saudi Arabia, and a Christian uses a GPS in Mexico, and a Shinto Buddhist uses a GPS in Japan, the GPS works the same way regardless.

Today is April 24th is reporting, not selling. 

"Jesus turned water into wine" is selling not reporting.

Anthropologist, "We found old claims that people made about a character named Jesus claimed to have turned water into wine" 

Is the same as,

Anthropologist, " We unearthed the Tomb of King Tut, and all the artwork we found on the walls and all the items depict the society and beliefs of that time"...... THAT is neutral. 

"Trump became president" neutral, not selling.

"Trump is a great president" selling not neutral.

"Obama was our prior president" also neutral not selling.

"Obama was a horrible president" selling not neutral.

"Trump farts Lamborghini's out of his ass", selling not neutral.

"Obama is a Kenyan" selling not neutral.

"Mecca is a real place" neutral, not selling.

Muslim, "Mecca is a real place so that proves Allah is real", that is selling, not neutral.

Christian, "My bible has real places in it, so Jesus is the one real God" that is selling, not neutral. 

So don't cherry pick, don't be half assed about it, either you value objectivity, or you merely have a sales pitch.

Messages In This Thread
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Brian37 - April 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 23, 2017 at 9:12 pm
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Brian37 - April 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 2101 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  God is not the answer Silver 47 5907 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 16058 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 18983 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 995 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  To All Those Theists Who Aren't In It For The Swag Edwardo Piet 17 3298 June 2, 2018 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 27109 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Silver 431 136101 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23606 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14737 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan