Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't Trump supporters admit there is something wrong with him
RE: Why can't Trump supporters admit there is something wrong with him
(June 20, 2017 at 10:13 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(June 19, 2017 at 11:36 pm)wallym Wrote: It's the association fallacy.  I looked it up, because I know you guys really like naming fallacies.  

A = Hitler
B = Evil
C = Tactics/Rhetoric
D = Trump

The Argument: 
A is B 
A is C
D is C
What people are mistakenly implying is that
D is B.

For that to be true, all C need to be B, but nobody is even trying to demonstrate All C are B.  People just keep saying A is C.  D is C.  And A is B.  But that says nothing about whether or not D is B.  And D is B is what's really relevant.

I don't think Trump is evil because he's like Hitler. I think they're both evil because of their behavior. Granted that Hitler's was extreme and Trump's isn't. You're acting as if I think Trump is evil because he uses Hitlerian tactics. I don't. I think Trump is evil because he's a racist who wants to ensconce his racism in national policy. I think he's evil because he's a sexual predator by his own admission.

I don't need Hitler to think Trump is evil. That doesn't, however, blind me to the parallels.

Did you vote for Trump? Are you trying to justify ex post facto a serious mistake?

Excactly!  

So if the argument is D is B because of C.  (Trump is Evil because of his Behavior/Rhetoric.)  What does any of this have to do with Hitler?  You've pointed out Hitler is irrelevant to your conclusion.  Which leaves the question of motivation.  Why would someone bring Hitler into this?  I think it's common knowledge it's done because they want people to make illogical inferences that are favorable to their cause.  Or in some people's case, they just don't realize that's not how logic works.  They're hoping people mistakenly associate the level of Hitler's evilness with Trump.  

---

Part 2, what are the conclusions you are drawing based on the existence of these 'parallels.'

---

Part 3, I don't know what ex post facto means.  Googled it, still not sure.  I begrudgingly voted for Trump.  There was a lot of finger crossing that went along with it.  I don't think it's a serious mistake yet.  Politics is tricky business, because they need to get votes to win.  And they need to say a lot of crazy shit to get votes.  I'm sure in 2008 when Obama said he believed marriage should be between 1 man and 1 woman, the LGBTQ community was crossing their fingers he was just saying it so the southern black communities didn't get spooked, and not because he actually believed it, for example.

I find there to be a reasonableness to a toned down version of the stuff Trump said during the campaign.

(June 20, 2017 at 10:32 am)Khemikal Wrote: I think it boils down to a simplification of hitler to narrative from history.  To most people, what makes hitler bad was the holocaust, and that's who he was.  They either don't remember from class, or were never taught....the seemingly populist corporal had more mundane origins.  That he spent a good amount of time with boilerplate shit meant to whip up his base trying to manouver in an establishment that privately hated him but publicly fellated him for having won a good portion of their constituent demographic even though that demographic wasn't enough to secure a strict popular vote victory.

Oops, I did it again.  Or was it hitler that did that..or trump.  Gee, it all gets difficult to separate.

(June 20, 2017 at 10:27 am)wallym Wrote: But you literally just restated the same thing I had said.  
I took your pile of rotten straw, Wally..and informed you of the only sentence within it which applied to -my- argument......or to the comparisons which you are calling absurd, and trying to discredit by reference to non-applicable mechanical structures.

Quote:And you said "Therefore Trump took a subset of hitlers actions.  Fixed that for you."  First off, it's weird you wrote therefore.  You replaced the variable with the thing it represented as if you were concluding something.  
Because I'm concluding, in comparison of that subset...only that there is a valid fucking comparison you nitwit.  If you want to argue, with me...and not yourself, you'll have to argue with that, not your pile of straw.  If you want to discredit the comparisons made, and not yourself for having pitched straw..you'll need to dispute -that-.

Do you find logic to be one of your strengths?  Is this something you believe you excel at?  Just curious.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Trump supporters admit there is something wrong with him - by henryp - June 20, 2017 at 11:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 21825 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  What's wrong with Woke Spongebob 40 2911 January 23, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Liz Cheney Says She Was Wrong... Secular Elf 2 364 September 28, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Something I've wondered about Hollywood Foxaèr 23 976 December 13, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4324 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1106 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Question for the Trump supporters The Valkyrie 33 3307 June 13, 2020 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Zepp
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1990 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why wasn't Trump destroyed like Michael Jackson? WinterHold 11 1280 January 2, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1571 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4