Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climate Change and ecological collapse
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse
(August 2, 2017 at 8:59 am)Court Jester Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 11:23 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Most people -aren't- willing to change their life at all..but some will buy a product that steps in for whatever guilt they feel or that provides whatever virtue signalling they think is appropriate for their social strata - one of those products being climate science denial, none of that changes the data...which you can go research yourself, at your leisure.

Yes, there's always moisture in the air.  There's more when it's hotter, barring effects like desertification.  Which is -one- of the reasons that having a bunch of warmer, wetter air mixing with cooler dry air produces stronger storms.  This is basic shit.  I;m sorry that your own anecdotes are turning on you, but that's what happens when you throw your lot in with the doubt monkeys jester.  You fail to realize that what you are describing is predicted by climate change.  More extremes, more inclement weather, less predictability.  That means big snow, too.  When the next drought hits..you'll be here with anecdotes about how you haven't seen all that predicted extra rain.  This is why it;s pointless to jump through hoops with you.  OFC it's "mother nature"......and when you dump a bunch of greenhouse gas into "mother nature" the natural effect is...wait for it, the greenhouse effect.  

Go, let wonder lead you to knowledge.

I respect your opinion, but global warming has been a so called issue for decades. Waves are going to get bigger, the storms are going to get stronger, there’s going to be a complete shut down of agriculture as we know it today, societies will die and suffer on a biblical scale.  
You don't, and it's not my opinion that we're discussing anyway, so?

Quote:Entire ecosystems will be whipped out by 1990…
They were.....

Quote:okay, my bad…. 1997….
-and again they were.

Quote:There were some changes and the new calculation is 2005… well all of humanity will see these issues by 2010.. 2012 at the latest…. Ur…uh… we need more money or there will be cataclysmic events occurring by 2015…. No… I’m serious this time… we need hundreds of billions of dollars or everything I said was previously going to happen will really start to occur by 2020. I mean it this time.
You do realize that ecosystems being annihilated isn't some thing that will happen in the future, it already has and will continue to do so.  That's what happens when environmental conditions change, regardless of the reason for the change.  

Quote:Come on man… Really? How gullible has society gotten? The storms are no worse, the weather is no worse, some areas flood as they sometimes do, some areas don’t as they sometimes wont, no whales, fish, or people are boiling from the sun, and I can see a beautiful green tree line and an 85 acre corn field that is booming with zero irrigation.  
Awfully gullible, clearly, here you are....still bitching and moaning about your doubts based upon the snow you saw on a mountain rather than educating yourself.   

Quote:To each their own, but “Global warming is going to get us all because I read it on the internet” ranks right up there with someone screaming “Repent. Jesus is coming because I read it in this here book.”
Strange, I don't recall saying that.  Sounds like the kind of straw that doubt monkeys pull out of their ass rather than addressing the issue of climate change.  Can't imagine how that might end poorly.

(August 2, 2017 at 3:10 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 12:57 pm)Khemikal Wrote: We, essentially, have to change everything about human civilization.

What do you mean change everything? The main thing would be to replace all coal and oil power plants with thing like TWR. Then the next pollutant are the cars. Now it doesn't mean that everybody should buy new electric car, people could still keep using their old oil cars, locomotives and airplanes that can be tweaked to use ethanol instead of gas and if you had clean energy resource, like TWR, you can produce ethanol artificially from molecules in the air and water. Sure, cars would still release CO2 but you would only circle around CO2 that is already in the air instead taking "new" deposits from deep within underground. At the same time people could be capturing carbon that is in the air and store it back underground.

I mean that we have to change those things you mentioned above..and yet more still..as in, everything. Our buildings are wasteful, our cities haphazardly planned, our food systems are a nightmare. Our water use.....suicidal. Our environmental management policies and practices a sham. Our manufacturing processes and materials untenable for any length of time. So, in addition to somehow convincing the world to go nuclear or better, and retrofitting every form of transportation we use, and engaging in mass carbon capture..we have to address those as well. It's not exactly a little job, and there's no part of human civilization that it doesn't touch on. Plopping down a nuke and driving a green car might make people feel better, but it;s not a long term plan for human survival on this rock. Just plopping down the nuke and getting green cars out there is likely to take the rest of my natural life. I'll never even see -that- future. We need to be more aggressive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Climate Change and ecological collapse - by ph445 - July 23, 2017 at 10:07 am
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by tjakey - July 23, 2017 at 11:25 am
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by ph445 - July 23, 2017 at 11:35 am
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by brewer - July 23, 2017 at 11:35 am
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by vorlon13 - August 1, 2017 at 3:45 pm
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by vorlon13 - August 1, 2017 at 3:51 pm
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by Succubus - August 2, 2017 at 6:47 pm
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by vorlon13 - August 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm
RE: Climate Change and ecological collapse - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 7047 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 20410 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I am so sick of climate change deniers. Brian37 34 3280 November 23, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Can we recover from human caused climate change? Aroura 27 7197 November 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Various ways of fighting climate change dyresand 15 3540 April 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 3076 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Will modern society slow the progress of change? Heat 11 2995 May 10, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Climate change Won2blv 56 11432 May 17, 2015 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Climate change skeptic turned proponent Surgenator 26 6833 February 19, 2015 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Representative Steve King emailed me on Climate Change rjl7 5 1717 November 21, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: vorlon13