Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(August 8, 2017 at 10:19 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: The resolution is "The Five Ways of Aquinas have been debunked." Who is willing to show that that assertion is actually true?

It can wait if you want because I realize not everyone has the time for a formal debate. I just want to know who, in principle, thinks they could logically and exhaustively present the proposed objections and defeaters to the 5W that are much talked about.

Tell you what, if a formal debate is too much bother, post your best references on this thread, including YouTube videos, if you must.

I remember once discussing the 5 ways, on some thread, here... I'd never looked at those 5 ways before and, as soon as the other person gave me a link to them, I saw that they were mostly arguments from ignorance... I can't be bothered to go find that thread.
But it's easy enough to find the wiki's article on it:

wiki Wrote:The Argument of the Unmoved Mover
Summary
In the world we can see that at least some things are changing. Whatever is changing is being changed by something else. If that by which it is changing is itself changed, then it too is being changed by something else. But this chain cannot be infinitely long, so there must be something that causes change without itself changing. This everyone understands to be God.

Let me rephrase that:
I am ignorant of the Universe. I am ignorant of physics. So I decide to posit an arbitrary start for everything. This start is obviously the super complex thinking non-physical entity known as God.

Current astrophysics and Quantum Mechanics state that everything we see changing has a counterpart. The Universe's total Energy content is zero. And this zero can have always existed.

wiki Wrote:The Argument of the First Cause
Summary
In the world we can see that things are caused. But it is not possible for something to be the cause of itself, because this would entail that it exists prior to itself, which is a contradiction. If that by which it is caused is itself caused, then it too must have a cause. But this cannot be an infinitely long chain, so therefore there must be a cause which is not itself caused by anything further. This everyone understands to be God.

Same as above.

wiki Wrote:The Argument from Contingency
Summary
In the world we see things that are possible to be and possible not to be. In other words, perishable things. But if everything were contingent and thus capable of going out of existence, then, given infinite time, this possibility would be realized and nothing would exist now. But things clearly do exist now. Therefore, there must be something that is imperishable: a necessary being. This everyone understands to be God.

If only he knew about the second law of thermodynamics... he'd have a lot of fun with it!
Sadly, it applies to closed systems of the matter we know.... not to the unknown beyond it.... the part of the Universe that renders its total energy as zero.
From zero you come... .to zero you go.... no change!

wiki Wrote:The Argument from Degree
Summary
We see things in the world that vary in degrees of goodness, truth, nobility, etc. For example, sick animals and healthy animals, and well drawn circles as well as poorly drawn ones. But judging something as being "more" or "less" implies some standard against which it is being judged. Therefore, there is something which is goodness itself, and this everyone understands to be God.

ooohh.... this one is about psychology. Bred from ignorance of evolution.
That which humans deem good is that which provides them with a survival advantage.
But... that which is good for humans will not necessarily be good for other animals. So goodness itself is relative to the observer. It's not absolute, as this "way" implies.

wiki Wrote:The Teleological Argument
Summary
We see various non-intelligent objects in the world behaving in regular ways. This cannot be due to chance, since then they would not behave with predictable results. So their behavior must be set. But it cannot be set by themselves, since they are non-intelligent and have no notion of how to set behavior. Therefore, their behavior must be set by something else, and by implication something that must be intelligent. This everyone understands to be God.

So... Physical objects have a set behavior that must have been set by some thinking being. Electrons have a particular charge and mass that make them behave in a particular way.... hmmm... actually the generic things mass and charge and energy are what determine how each particle behaves. So it is this behavior of masses and charges that is claimed to be imposed by an outside intelligence.
Why? How?
Actually, we know that mass has an effect on the geometry of space-time... Could space-time, the best candidate at stuff outside our Universe, have been the driver of mass (and energy - E=mc2, remember?) and charge? Could mass be just a particular ripple in space-time? Could it be somehow related to the multi-dimensional superstrings?

So, the truth is, we don't know how stuff in our Universe got to behave the way it does. Nobody knows. [argument from ignorance] Hence god done it!

There you go, ignorance all around. Enjoy!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by pocaracas - August 8, 2017 at 11:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249341 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris