Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself
RE: Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself
(August 24, 2017 at 6:35 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(August 24, 2017 at 4:58 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: That is precisely my objection to atheism...it devolves into nihilism. When you say "we are in no position to know" you are basically saying that reason is unreliable and that the world is not intelligible. Holding either or both is self-defeating.

To point out some limits to reason is hardly the same thing as concluding the world is not intelligible.

Of course there are epistemological limits to what reason can and cannot reveal. My point is about the efficacy of reason as a tool. i.e. that there are truth preserving forms, such as syllogisms, and inviolate rules of thought, such as the principle of non-contradiction. You cannot rationally prove these are valid, you either recognize them as self-evident and believe they are true or you don't. Similarly, you either believe that the world has a rational order or you don't. No one can prove that it does; the world could be absurd.

Nevertheless, both of these foundational beliefs are fundamental to Christian theism. Believers' reliance on these as absolute principles is repeatedly attacked when atheists dispute the main logical demonstrations for theism, such as First Cause and Necessary Being. And indeed those objections work because the absolute principles on which those demonstrations rest are beyond the epistemological limit. But that kind of victory comes at great cost. In so doing, the skeptics are either denying reason's efficacy and/or asserting absurdity. Both approaches are nihilistic in nature.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself - by Neo-Scholastic - August 24, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 7193 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 12297 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9501 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This is strange. Explaining stuff to myself. purplepurpose 26 7496 December 16, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  atheist math question loganonekenobi 16 3626 April 11, 2016 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Still struggling. Socratic Meth Head 436 31255 March 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 12146 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Answers in Genesis? I want an answer for this! Mental Outlaw 41 10912 February 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  i have a question [Atheist only] dyresand 19 6716 November 20, 2014 at 1:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  When faith tries to answer a simple question. dyresand 27 7392 November 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: dyresand