Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists?
Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists?
This has bugged me for a long time and when I've asked theists they deny knowing that they are doing it. Yet they never say theist instead of theists.

Atheist is a noun. Like most nouns you put an s at the end to signify plural. Are they accusing atheists of having a hive mind?

So please can someone explain why they do it?

(And yes I know I did the same when referring to theists in the title. It was deliberate.)
RE: Why do Theist often drop the letter s from when referring to atheists?
I've honestly not noticed this little theistic quirk.
RE: Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists?
(June 2, 2018 at 7:56 am)Mathilda Wrote: This has bugged me for a long time and when I've asked theists they deny knowing that they are doing it. Yet they never say theist instead of theists.

Atheist is a noun. Like most nouns you put an s at the end to signify plural. Are they accusing atheists of having a hive mind?

So please can someone explain why they do it?

(And yes I know I did the same when referring to theists in the title. It was deliberate.)

Gee, I am so so happy to hear that I am safe in that matter.
I usually put the s.

You make my day darl.  Worship  Levitate  Worship
Just trying to understand why some do it. The fact that many don't even realise they are doing it, like GC, makes it even more confusing.
I've wondered this also, since I've seen it across multiple message boards.  

One theist I asked said her phone autocorrected from atheists to atheist.
Never noticed that
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Maybe I should start posting example on this thread whenever I see Christian do it. What do you guy think?
I think that's just because many English speaking theists have poor English. A lot of them also spell it as "athiest". To which I respond "I don't disbelieve in the existence of thighs."
(June 2, 2018 at 8:20 am)Mathilda Wrote: Just trying to understand why some do it. The fact that many don't even realise they are doing it, like GC, makes it even more confusing.

GC just can't spell. His grammar's for shit as well.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I've never noticed that, but then again, I usually have re-read my own posts more then once to catch spelling and grammar errors, because my brain has its own "autocorrect" and reads words as they are meant to be spelled not as they necessarily are.

Oh... and I never spell atheist right, the computer just always auto-corrects it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7005 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 446 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2090 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1003 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1996 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2017 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2817 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1957 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 7929 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15448 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet