Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When faith tries to answer a simple question.
When faith tries to answer a simple question.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: When faith tries to answer a simple question.
I'm not sure faith really tries to answer anything. Faith is the absence of an answer
(November 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm)fojo Wrote: I'm not sure faith really tries to answer anything. Faith is the absence of an answer

When a person or unintelligent person with a religion wonder a simple question lets put that person in the days of ancient man. There is a volcano its going to erupt people think the gods are angry because the said volcano is going to erupt. we know now volcanoes erupt due to because of density and pressure. The lower density of the magma relative to the surrounding rocks causes it to rise (like air bubbles in syrup). It will rise to the surface or to a depth that is determined by the density of the magma and the weight of the rocks above it. we know this because we are more intelligent now than then a person with faith now says there is diseases spreading in this world because A gods wrath B the devil. we know why sicknesses spread like currently Ebola. A noted Christian bigot said its gods wrath to wipe out the gays and atheists and anyone who doesn't believe or rejects god. you see.. well you get these types of sicknesses and diseases though bodily contact and through fluids and coughing. we know this because we are smarter.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I suppose in terms of ancient cultures they were coming up with the most plausible solution within the framework of knowledge they had. Its when people can't see or refuse to acknowledge the mass of evidence we now have that I find particularly frustrating
(November 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm)fojo Wrote: I suppose in terms of ancient cultures they were coming up with the most plausible solution within the framework of knowledge they had. Its when people can't see or refuse to acknowledge the mass of evidence we now have that I find particularly frustrating

Its just people now are willfully ignorant is all. You have people who truly want knowledge but there is always something that muddies a world view. sadly religion is something that still makes peoples world views muddy.

Code:
(November 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm)fojo Wrote: I suppose in terms of ancient cultures they were coming up with the most plausible solution within the framework of knowledge they had. Its when people can't see or refuse to acknowledge the mass of evidence we now have that I find particularly frustrating

When you speak of the mass of evidence we now have are you referring to evidence that there is no God or just an understanding of how nature functions? The mass of evidence we have doesn't do anything to make me believe that there is no God. If I was an atheist, I'd go crazy trying to figure out how the energy in the universe always existed, as natural laws would require. It's kind of like trying to understand how God always existed, except that God doesn't have to follow natural laws.
(November 16, 2014 at 12:54 am)Lek Wrote: If I was an atheist, I'd go crazy trying to figure out how the energy in the universe always existed, as natural laws would require.

Why? Since when was the only possible cause for the universe god?

Quote: It's kind of like trying to understand how God always existed, except that God doesn't have to follow natural laws.

Which is very convenient for you, I'm sure. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 16, 2014 at 12:54 am)Lek Wrote:

When you speak of the mass of evidence we now have are you referring to evidence that there is no God or just an understanding of how nature functions? The mass of evidence we have doesn't do anything to make me believe that there is no God. If I was an atheist, I'd go crazy trying to figure out how the energy in the universe always existed, as natural laws would require. It's kind of like trying to understand how God always existed, except that God doesn't have to follow natural laws.

saying god doesn't have to follow natural laws is kind of lazy... if you ask me. its one of the laziest arguments out there. sure he can have that loop hole but you must provide evidence of his existence then we can test it and draw a conclusion. just saying if he was real and we can test it there would be no atheism. but since there is atheism and there is people who have logic and reasoning and the lack or diminishing faith we can safety say there is no god or god is there but doesn't give 2 fucks about humanity anymore.

Code:
(November 16, 2014 at 12:54 am)Lek Wrote: If I was an atheist, I'd go crazy trying to figure out how the energy in the universe always existed, as natural laws would require. It's kind of like trying to understand how God always existed, except that God doesn't have to follow natural laws.
If you're excusing the questions themselves then you aren't trying to understand anything to begin with. Being an atheist wouldn't force you into being any more interested in these questions or explanations than you are now, and you don't seem to be interested in the least. In any case, that god doesn't "have to" follow the rules, so sayeth you, is ultimately irrelevant. If there is a "he", he plainly and demonstrably -did- follow the rules.

The existence of a god would offer no additional insight, no corrective information. If we discovered a god tomorrow, that wouldn't change the fact that said god wasn't a flooder of worlds, or a tinkerer of life, or a builder of planets, or a patron of tribes and cultures, or a moral examplar and lawgiver...etc. Think about it, you know..unless you'd go crazy. Jerkoff

For flavor, the non-question you posed above doesn;t have anything to do with your god narrative. Pick up your book. Start at page 1. What you may notice, is that there is already energy and a universe when the narrative begins. God isn't proposed -even by your own fairy tale- as an explanation for that. So, unfortunately, you're in the same boat as anyone else on that count.

Want me to hold onto your shoelaces for you until you figure that out?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 16, 2014 at 12:54 am)Lek Wrote: If I was an atheist, I'd go crazy trying to figure out how the energy in the universe always existed, as natural laws would require. It's kind of like trying to understand how God always existed, except that God doesn't have to follow natural laws.

I'm not going around every day asking myself how the universe works.

There were times not so long ago, when people thought, a train going over a certain amount of speed would get the passengers killed. Today we know that's bull.

Give it another 100 years and people (If they haven't managed to kill themselves in the meantime) will have a much broader understanding of the universe that they have now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13069 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12765 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1464 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34652 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2847 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6879 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20170 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7828 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8784 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12659 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp