Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Modern Science Owe Its Existence to Religion?
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway.
(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Wait, what? As strange as it may sound means science? No, no, it doesn't, Stat. You are are obfuscating this debate . . . again

What! Why would you stop at the comma? If you follow basic grammar you’d realize that I didn’t stop my idea at the comma after the word science, but rather at the period. Science arising from religion is the paradox he is referring to, but I am sure you knew that and you just wanted to quote me out of context to feel better. My original quote is found below for everyone to see how you didn’t use it correctly.

Quote: He is talking about a “paradox” and says “as strange as it may sound”, so it is obvious he is talking about science, which today is very anti-religious, arising from religion.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: I didn't misunderstand the quote, Stat.
Yes you did.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: I can't ignore something that isn't there, Stat.

Well you ignored it, so it must be there.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Have you ever noticed the sheer mountain of one liners that border on "Look at this fucking idiot!" that are posted in reply to your walls of incomprehensible nonsense?

Of course! Ad Hominem is what people who can’t refute an argument resort to. I totally expected to run into from people who hold such an indefensible position as atheism. It is a reflection on them, not me.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Oh, look. You followed that with a bunch of selected quotes where you said modern science and not science. I was talking about you changing terms as the debate wears on. By the end of every one of your debates, your argument is not remotely like your op.

My OP said modern science! I have been talking about modern science all the way through this debate. You said I changed terms when I said modern science, so I changed terms from modern science to modern science? I just caught you being dishonest, don’t cry about it.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: As for the rest of your post, I am not bothering.

Yeah I knew you wouldn’t be able to hack it.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: I would not object to quotes supported by statistics, facts, links between modern science and religion

[sarcasm] yeah because they kept a lot of statistics in the 16th and 17th century [/sarcasm]

So we can just sum this up as this…

I made a historical claim, I supported this claim with quotes from experts on the matter, and quotes from the founders of modern science themselves and it was all just blown off because you want statistics? This is history! We use historians and historical documents, not statistics that don’t exist. Get real.

(August 3, 2011 at 5:41 pm)Shell B Wrote: I don't know about enjoyable, but I am sure it is less depressing. Anything is less depressing than a battle of the quotes.

Battle of the quotes? You would have had to actually provide some quotes for it to be a battle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by Statler Waldorf - August 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 8367 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Was it a modern day lynching? Not sure it fits the category jasonelijah 29 1466 March 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 880 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Saudi Arabia whitewashing its reputation by paying to PR companies WinterHold 0 236 October 17, 2018 at 8:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  No. He Does Not Owe An Apology, Douchebag. Minimalist 12 1474 January 18, 2018 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  We Kiwis Owe Mr Trump A YUGE Thank You! BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1458 October 23, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3704 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pissy-Gate Rears Its Ugly Head, Again. Minimalist 26 3048 March 5, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fuck-Up Fatigue Setting In and Its Only Been A Month Minimalist 4 1363 February 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  It's one of the saddest things of the modern day that the drug war exists EruptedCarcassBloat 14 2034 October 25, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: abaris