Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 11:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I had a religious experience the other night
RE: I had a religious experience the other night
i can imagine if it was a child living in a religious household with parents teaching them about the devil, or someone finding out about different religions because they considering joining, then this would have been the kind of experience that could make someone convert. Instead of D&D influencing the nature of the hallucination it would have been religious imagery. Which makes me wonder, if I had been watching Donald Duck cartoons all day would I then have heard a weird duck voice?

I remember when I was a teenager and I woke up one morning paralysed with the sensation of a void of blackness behind me, between me and the wall. I managed to summon up the courage to get out of bed, switch the light on, turn around and look at it when I woke up properly and realised that it was all a dream. But it did unsettle me at the time because i had never heard of sleep paralysis before. I remember telling my mum and her replying that if there was anything spooky then the dog would be barking. As she was saying that the dog was barking downstairs but she couldn't hear. Then the dog came rushing upstairs and slept on the landing for the first time ever, probably because she could sense that I was unsettled. Dogs are so cool.

I'm going to have to pay attention now to see if anyone claims to have had an experience when wide-awake during the day and not when dozing off to sleep or waking up.

Definitely interesting seeing how my brain compares to everyone else's though.

Edit: Don't worry Brian, I know that it was a hallucination. I never for one moment thought that it was anything else. But I didn't put religious experience in quote marks or anything because I think that all religious experiences are products of the brain as well. The only difference with this is that I realised what was going on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by brewer - November 18, 2017 at 8:51 am
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by Brian37 - November 18, 2017 at 12:19 pm
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by I_am_not_mafia - November 18, 2017 at 12:28 pm
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by Brian37 - November 18, 2017 at 2:02 pm
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by Brian37 - November 18, 2017 at 2:14 pm
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by Aroura - November 21, 2017 at 7:18 am
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by ignoramus - November 21, 2017 at 10:59 pm
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by Aroura - November 21, 2017 at 8:48 am
RE: I had a religious experience the other night - by chimp3 - November 21, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 14240 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 746 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 5549 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Funny video - Saturday Night Live - teen thanks god during thanksgiving Ferrocyanide 4 811 November 7, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2181 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 25040 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  So Noah had crab lice Fake Messiah 0 548 July 18, 2021 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7367 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21723 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Matt and Luke: Ships Passing in the Night YahwehIsTheWay 15 1789 December 1, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Cod