Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a theist other then the basic definition?
What is a theist other then the basic definition?
For many years or awhile now a theist to me always meant someone that had any baliefs in anything, even just 1 baleif but I was wrong after actually looking up the definition more recently or last week and seeing a youtube video about it. All it means is anyone who baleives in at least 1 or more gods. 

The video explained that theists could follow, be a part of religious rituals or be part of a religion. Is that different from being religious and part of a religious order?
RE: What is a theist other then the basic definition?
(July 31, 2022 at 8:10 pm)Quill01 Wrote: For many years or awhile now a theist to me always meant someone that had any baliefs in anything, even just 1 baleif but I was wrong after actually looking up the definition more recently or last week and seeing a youtube video about it. All it means is anyone who baleives in at least 1 or more gods. 

The video explained that theists could follow, be a part of religious rituals or be part of a religion. Is that different from being religious and part of a religious order?

It's very different. I've been part of religious rituals (got one coming up in a couple of weeks, in fact), but I'm not religious or part of a religious order.

I don't see how taking part in a religious ritual makes one a theist.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think the devil is in the details. When you say theist is a person who believe in at least 1 god, The range of possible meaningful interpretations of “god” is not as clear as it may first appear.
(August 1, 2022 at 9:24 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I think the devil is in the details.    When you say theist is a person who believe in at least 1 god,   The range of possible meaningful interpretations of “god” is not as clear as it may first appear.

Nor, sometimes, the definition of 'believes', as evident by the recent Jordan Peterson kerfluffle.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Do I really have to tell you?

Signed 

P T Barnum

Hint: one is born every minute.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11451 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2591 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 23916 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6416 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20854 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2794 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9134 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2984 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1860 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8278 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman