Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 11, 2018 at 9:24 am)SteveII Wrote:
(March 11, 2018 at 9:03 am)Mathilda Wrote: No you did not. You gave no example of an intelligence that is not subject to the law of thermodynamics.

I am still waiting for an example. You know, an example that actually exists in reality.

1. Since all of our observations are within the universe and everything in the universe is subject the its laws (including thermodynamics), your statement is logically the same as: "all observations of intelligence are within the universe". Stop there. Do you understand that? 

Glad you said that. Nothing else needs to be said.

You cannot give an example of intelligence that is not subject to the law of thermodynamics.

But to be fair to you, I was originally using this as an argument as to why your god cannot exist so I will address the next point

(March 11, 2018 at 9:24 am)SteveII Wrote: 2. Since God, if he exists or not, by definition, is not made up of stuff in the universe, he is not subject to the laws of physics.

This actually ties in with my second argument about why gods cannot exist. Because there cannot be an unambiguous definition of what a god is. If you try coming up with one then you have something that is not a god. An alien for example. But the relevance here is that you cannot say that a god is by definition not made up of stuff in the universe and not subject to the laws of physics ... because there is no single definition of a what a god is.

But getting back to why intelligence is important, I'll refer back to my earlier post:

(March 7, 2018 at 6:52 pm)Mathilda Wrote: It only seems nonsense to you because you do not understand the nature of intelligence. How can your god exist or think without being constrained by the laws of Thermodynamics?

This is because intelligence is a form of self-organisation and self-organisation happens because of the laws of thermodynamics. I know intelligence probably seems all magical to you, but it really isn't. Hence my analogy in another thread of the difficulty of convincing mechanics that my car is telepathic. The same laws that make a ball roll down a slope and come to a stop, are the same laws that allow crystals to form, that allow weather patterns to play out, planets and solar systems to form and the same laws that allow intelligence to take place.

So you have spent many pages arguing that your god is not subject to the laws of thermodynamics and at the same time have been unwittingly without knowing it arguing for me to accept something that means that your god cannot be intelligent.

It really is like arguing that although all real-world vehicles have to move to be considered a vehicle, your god-mobile doesn't need to move because it's a supernatural vehicle. But without acknowledging that if true, it would no longer be a god-vehicle but a god-container

In the same way that a vehicle needs to move something to be considered a vehicle, intelligence needs to settle into stable configurations. The function of intelligence is inherently tied to thermodynamics. And by intelligence I am talking about strong, generalisable intelligence. It needs to be embodied in an environment, it needs to be active but not to the point of being chaotic.

I think therefore I am constrained by the laws of thermodynamics.

Now if you are willing to drop the requirement for your god to be eternal and accept that it must subject to the laws of thermodynamics, then you can have a thinking god. But the consequence of this is that it's only a god until we come up with a better definition for whatever the alien is.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by I_am_not_mafia - March 11, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 803 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5719 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31662 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28682 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27977 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14949 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56397 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9388 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3468 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12921 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy