Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 6:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What is your reason for being an atheist?
#8
RE: What is your reason for being an atheist?
You mean, besides the fact that I hate God and want to sin?  Big Grin

I find no compelling evidence that an entity such as the theists describe is real. I've asked all kinds of believers for proof, and they usually do one of two things:

1) They say "look around" and gesture at whatever landscape surrounds us, not taking into account, I suppose, that I'd noticed the world around me before. Pretty unconvincing argument.

2) Or they point me to their holy book which contains stories about their deity and his dealings with mankind. But since I've read many stories about mythical beings and never assumed any of them to be real, I don't see why I should treat the characters in their little storybook any differently.

I've also read some philosophical proofs for God's existence and found none compelling. So I guess the reason I'm an atheist is because I'm unconvinced that God exists. 

Welcome to the forums, Dimitrios.

Welcome
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: What is your reason for being an atheist? - by vulcanlogician - May 27, 2018 at 2:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 129 61659 January 20, 2026 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 14217 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 2028 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 138516 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 18971 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 48402 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 12186 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 13699 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 13238 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 42916 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)