Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible?
RE: Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible?
No, I don't believe faith is impossible. In fact, some degree of it is necessary.

I see a doctor every 6 months to monitor my health. I have never done research to probe the man's history to find out for certain if he really is a doctor. Instead, I rely on the system which does a very good job of exposing false doctors. It is very unlikely that I would fall victim to a jaded auto mechanic who thought it might be fun to practice medicine while skipping that whole burdensome medical school thing.

I similarly do not research the supply chain of my local grocer to make sure all the produce is safe.

I don't research every driver who drives the same route I do on the freeway at 5:00 in the morning to make certain each of them are competent.

It would be impractical to live one's life like that. We are forced by necessity to practice some degree of faith.

But...

The type of faith you are talking about is literally insane, IMO. You are talking about dealing with things unseen which cannot be dis-proven and believing they are true for no other reason than you feel they should be true or you want them to be true. That is self-delusion. The ONLY way to KNOW that a thing is true is to be able to logically demonstrate that it is true - or at least to show the probability of it being true is very high.

I am honestly amazed this is not obvious to anybody. Can't you understand that your particular fantasy (Christianity) is no more likely to be true than anyone else's fantasy? The Muslims have faith equal to your own. So do the Hindus and the Buddhists. Contemporary science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard created Scientology and millions believe it with the same fervor you believe in Christianity.

The take-away here: Faith is not a way by which you can know if a thing is true. The type of faith you are talking about is self-delusion. Nothing more.

I recognize that many people are capable of self-delusion but NOT if they recognize that it IS self-delusion. That is why you cannot con yourself into believing 1 + 1 =3. You recognize that trying to do so is self-delusion. Unfortunately, you do not recognize that your religious beliefs are exactly the same thing.

We atheists DO recognize it. That is why we are no more capable of believing in fantasy religions than we are capable of believing that 1 + 1 = 3. We have looked at the evidence without blinders and can clearly see that every religion we are aware of is OBVIOUSLY invented by man. To take one of them seriously would be a self-delusion. Before we can take any of them seriously, we would need to hear a convincing argument that they might not be.

We cannot take seriously what is obviously nonsense. We cannot willingly self-delude.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
RE: Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? - by AFTT47 - June 26, 2018 at 10:46 pm
RE: Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? - by AFTT47 - June 26, 2018 at 11:42 pm
RE: Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? - by AFTT47 - June 26, 2018 at 11:55 pm
RE: Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? - by brewer - June 28, 2018 at 10:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9235 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 8318 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2392 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 5012 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AronRa as blunt as possible. ignoramus 7 1800 April 12, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Sam Harris (an atheist) says that God is possible/inevitable ThoughtCurvature 12 3128 September 5, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 9008 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
Smile Is Unbelief Possible? Hezekiah 154 20365 March 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Belev2Know
  is it possible for me to one day be a skeptic? leodeo 12 3497 February 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  A scientific reason to not believe? journeyinghowie 60 28609 December 5, 2012 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut