Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it possible for me to one day be a skeptic?
is it possible for me to one day be a skeptic?
im not very skeptical like most atheists, im not any religion but i believe in a god and after life and stuff, though still looking for answers to kinda draw up what exactly i believe,

though im very much more skeptical than i used to be ie: people would tell me when i was a kid how things have a way of working out, and everythings gonna okay and stuff, and god has a plan for us all, and dreams do come true - so a lot of hard years later i definitely saw thats not always teh case!

i guess nowadays im more skeptical of christin logic, and dont really believe in psychic/astronomy stuff as much, but when i see like a fortune cookie or horoscope that matches up perfectly, it still does make me wonder.

but also another person told me that you cant really change your core beliefs and personality, and you can try but in the end the inner you will keep leaking out....so idk, but im more able to see nowadays what i want/like rather than having people tell me what i should want/like.
RE: is it possible for me to one day be a skeptic?
You mean astrology. Astronomy is a science.

I don't know if you will ever become a skeptic because you seem far too stupid for that.
You are young and scepticism takes time and experience to develop.

So my answer to the OP is yes, someday you will
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: You mean astrology. Astronomy is a science.

I don't know if you will ever become a skeptic because you seem far too stupid for that.

Way to go, oh great intelligent one!
(February 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: You mean astrology. Astronomy is a science.

nah dude im not stupid - i always had trouble with word choices and generally dont care about typos online which gets me a lot of harassment, but I'm really great at problems solving, thinking outside the box, and coming up with ideas - there are different kinds of intelligence of course, but I don't think I'm stupid.

(February 20, 2014 at 9:56 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: You are young and scepticism takes time and experience to develop.

So my answer to the OP is yes, someday you will

cool thanks
(February 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm)leodeo Wrote: but also another person told me that you cant really change your core beliefs and personality, and you can try but in the end the inner you will keep leaking out

Eh, that's bullshit. I believed in god and jesus with every fiber of my being well into my later 20's. That shit completely changed for me.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Oh how I hate when people conflate the two.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(February 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm)leodeo Wrote: im not very skeptical like most atheists, im not any religion but i believe in a god and after life and stuff, though still looking for answers to kinda draw up what exactly i believe,

though im very much more skeptical than i used to be ie: people would tell me when i was a kid how things have a way of working out, and everythings gonna okay and stuff, and god has a plan for us all, and dreams do come true - so a lot of hard years later i definitely saw thats not always teh case!

i guess nowadays im more skeptical of christin logic, and dont really believe in psychic/astronomy stuff as much, but when i see like a fortune cookie or horoscope that matches up perfectly, it still does make me wonder.

but also another person told me that you cant really change your core beliefs and personality, and you can try but in the end the inner you will keep leaking out....so idk, but im more able to see nowadays what i want/like rather than having people tell me what i should want/like.

To be a skeptic, you pretty much just have to challenge whatever your presented with. It doesn't mean you have to disagree with everything, but you definitely have to question everything.

But let me help you on your path to skepticism. The horoscopes that are used are based off constellations made a couple of thousands of years ago. And due to the Earth's wobble, they do not appear in the sky during the times they should. Essentially each sign is off by a month at this point. So if you've been basing parts of your life off your horoscope, you've been reading the wrong one.

And your fortune cookie is not special either. The fortunes you get in the cookies weren't written by Confucius (even if they were it wouldn't mean anything), they are generated by a computer, printed, and put in cookies probably somewhere in Idaho. If McDonald's started putting fortunes with Big Macs, would you take them seriously? Not likely.

I don't think people have a "real you" inside them, but they do travel along trajectories of belief. As far as I'm concerned, there's no way to second guess where you're headed, you just have to take it as it comes and see what develops. I've always been of a critical bent, but my strength as a skeptic has only truly emerged in the last five years. When I was in my teens, I was an atheist, but not a knowledgeable, skeptical one. Over the last 30 years, I've taken two religions on board. Oddly, I'm both more skeptical than I was in my teens, but also more religious.

You just have to do your best and let the cards fall where they may.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

What the hell?

@leodeo
Imho Here's what you do: read, read, read, and then some more. In this case, why not start with "The Demon haunted World" by Sagan.

(February 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm)leodeo Wrote: im not very skeptical like most atheists, im not any religion but i believe in a god and after life and stuff, though still looking for answers to kinda draw up what exactly i believe,

(February 20, 2014 at 10:31 pm)Sejanus Wrote:

Oh how I hate when people conflate the two.

You know what I hate even more when people conflate it? Stupidity and lack of education. Skepticism and Intelligence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2729 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4818 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? JairCrawford 61 9765 July 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  AronRa as blunt as possible. ignoramus 7 1750 April 12, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Sam Harris (an atheist) says that God is possible/inevitable ThoughtCurvature 12 3029 September 5, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How not to start a conversation with a skeptic...I think Astonished 43 8715 February 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"? Heat 35 9554 January 11, 2016 at 4:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2357 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3401 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1302 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb