Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 4:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets get rid of primary elections when electing our president
RE: Lets get rid of primary elections when electing our president
(July 2, 2018 at 9:11 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(July 2, 2018 at 8:15 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Are you differentiating between the interests of the country as a whole and the interests of its individuals?  If so, I'd have to ask what you mean by the former, and why it should be privileged over the latter?   How does the representative being elected change what we consider to be the relevant interests?  You seem to have simply reasserted your prior position using different language without actually justifying it.  If, as you seem to be suggesting, empty farmland has as much interest in who leads the country as its people do, then I'd have to say I don't find your position at all persuasive.  The only reason empty farmland has interests derives from the fact that its fate is of interest to the people who own that farmland.  Even by your own argument, ultimately it comes down to the interests of the people, not some mysterious proxy which you somehow equate as "the country as a whole."  You don't appear to have an argument.  

I don't know offhand whether states rights and representation biased towards states rather than populations favors Republicans, but I'd be rather suspicious of your argument if it does.  The election of Trump in spite of him having fewer individuals vote for him than Clinton seems to confirm my suspicions, at least as far as this last election is concerned.   The last time before this that the majority vote lost the election it was also a Republican, George W. Bush.  Given your inability to clearly articulate a justification for your position, I have to say that my suspicions have been aroused.

I'm not sure what you believe I'm being unclear on.  And while I may concede empty farmland (doesn't get a vote), running farms however have people and interests which I think should be included in the priorities of the head of state.  Even in the current electoral college system, It is difficult for the lower population areas to overcome the big cities.  It only comes into play when the votes are close anyway.  I think that you are playing dumb, when you try talk about a proxy "Country as a whole" and empty farmland.  It's empty rhetoric, to diverge from the idea at hand.

It's also not about which side wins.  The parties could change, and the system could favor the other side in these cases.  This seems to be more of a concern for you, than it is for me, and ignores the ideology behind it.  That you don't even see why there is an electoral college in the first place, or seemly understand that there is an argument to begin with, makes me think that you aren't in a position to argue at all.  Or perhaps this is just a tactic of polemics.

You haven't presented any "idea at hand." All you've basically said is that you believe that something other than individual interest should determine representation because you believe that. You haven't given any real identification of what that something is, nor why you feel it should justify a different apportionment of representation than that dictated by individual interest. You haven't explained dick, and I find the accusation that I'm spouting empty rhetoric to be ironic in the extreme. You haven't justified your opinion by anything other than merely reasserting it.

There may be justifications for the electoral college, but so far you haven't presented any of them. Either you do have such a justification in mind and are simply doing a shit job of representing it, or you yourself are engaging in empty rhetoric. So stop with the ad hominem bullshit and get on with the argument, if you have one.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets get rid of primary elections when electing our president - by Angrboda - July 2, 2018 at 10:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 911 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Kuchma, the president of Ukraine Interaktive 5 935 June 10, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1901 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 26822 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  President Biden Foxaèr 74 5532 December 6, 2020 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  IIhan Omar wins Minnesota Congressional Primary Foxaèr 0 242 August 12, 2020 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Kanye West 2020 President Raino921 40 2270 August 5, 2020 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Dundee
  President Zelensky and the Withheld Funds Haipule 16 1378 January 27, 2020 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Anyone else ready for our first gay president? Foxaèr 121 8932 May 22, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Listening to President Trump's Press Conference onlinebiker 12 1560 November 8, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: onlinebiker