Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
RE: Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
(August 2, 2018 at 8:50 am)alpha male Wrote:
(August 2, 2018 at 8:44 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: My stance is that I don't want open borders. But I think those that have been here a certain time and have behaved themselves(while working) should have a path towards citizenship. They are Americans in most of the ways that count. I think those from South America and Central America that have come here legitimately to obtain refugee status should be looked at and treated humanely.

I think this is pretty close to what most average Democrat politicians would say.

Most average? Maybe. The problem is that it's the open boarders/abolish ICE sector of the party that gets most of the press, and the average Democrats (if they believe as you think) don't do anything to rein them in.

Same with racism. The average Democrat politician probably doesn't think that every person who voted for Trump is a racist, but that's the message that's getting out.

Another thing:

IMO Republicans are better at recognizing that there's far right, middle right, middle, middle left, and far left.

A lot of Dems seem to see only two groups: themselves and far right.

IOW, when they paint the real far right in a certain way, they paint so broadly that some in the middle feel included, and are offended.
You'd think that ICE had been around for 60 years lol

They were instituted during the Bush years and seem better at abusing people in custody (including sexual abuse) and harassing brown citizens than stopping people from coming here illegally. They're too corrupt.

Abolishing ICE doesn't mean no immigration control. We can beef up other agencies or perhaps start something different and less perverse. It's rotten to the core.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/11/immi...e-ice-dhs/

https://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/ice-wan...n-custody/

I think you have a point regarding accuracy and fairness about peoples stances. Most Americans really aren't that big on political terminology, anyway. I've been guilty of saying "right" instead of "far right" sometimes myself.

You have to at least know where you agree and disagree, at minimum.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can progressives learn anything from Republicans? - by The Industrial Atheist - August 2, 2018 at 9:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 334 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2240 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3353 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1378 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1371 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 855 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2068 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 635 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6917 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5897 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch