Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(August 13, 2018 at 5:01 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(August 13, 2018 at 12:31 am)bennyboy Wrote: I gotta say, I think the interviewer is doing a good job of both listening carefully and presenting a thoughtful counter-case.  Personally, I feel the rest of this thread could be productively spent on this clip.  There are certainly plenty of provocative ideas here to mull over.  Here are a few that stood out for me:

1)  Makeup and high-heeled shoes are definitively sexualized, and any evolutionary biologist would agree with that
2)  Between an environment with a non-sexualized uniform, and a more free environment, he'd choose the freer one.
3)  Wearing makeup and high heels makes harassment "more likely"
4)  (12:53) There are other solutions to harassment than limiting freedom of dress.
5)  Tizheruk is a gerbil-hating Nazi.

My first question, right off the bat, would be-- is it really a slam dunk among evolutionary biologists that makeup and high heels are sexualized?  If so, and if he's stating a position considered fact in that field, then he's really said very little to be upset about.  If, on the other hand, he's pulling that out his ass-- then it looks like grandpa making stuff up, and is very likely a misogynistic jerk (as Tiz claims). I googled it, and pretty much straight away found this, which involves an actual experiment involving not only attractiveness but even gender attribution:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ber...ttractive/

The following link is an except from a seemingly female author, which talks about both high heels AND makeup in a single page:
https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=2XH0...es&f=false

Obviously, I haven't really gone into it much yet, but a cursory glance seems to indicate that evolutionary psychologists do hold these beliefs in general, and they are not specific to Peterson.

So the fact that he talks about this very forthrightly, whereas most of us never would, seems to be that he simply is more educated in that field (remember he is in fact a reasonably renowned psychologist even without all the hubbub), and feels safe saying things that he feels are known to be facts, which to many not familiar with those fields would definitely be taken as misogynistic.

Good song
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by Amarok - August 13, 2018 at 5:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19761 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 358 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 753 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 16344 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4178 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1742 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9728 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus