Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 9:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
Looking at the latest Bible Reloaded video on Jordan Peterson. Just got to the point where Jordan's talking about Crime and Punishment and using Raskolnikov as an example of what a true athiest would be like, saying the murder Raskolnikov commits is motivated by him taking his atheism to its logical conclusion. As someone who's kind of obsessed with Dostoevsky to the point where he's on my license plate, I have to say: WRONG FUCKING CHARACTER, JORDAN!!!

It's Smerdyakov in Brothers Karamazov who uses atheism as an excuse to murder people, specifically using Ivan's "If there is no God, then everything is permitted" to justify his murder of his father Fyodor. Raskolnikov's motivations are complex and very weird by the standards of normal humans, as is common in Dostoevsky, but at least in this novel, a lack of belief in God is not part of it. To be fair, Sonia is a representation of Christian Love which causes Raskolnikov to finally come to terms with his act and turn himself in, and his theory of the great men is like a proto-Nietzschean Ubermensch ideal, but it's one where the death of God is conspicuously absent. As someone who has SEVEN of his books on my nightstand, I seriously have to ask: of all the examples you could pick to show the immorality of atheists (by an admittedly pretty bloody reactionary writer), are you seriously picking the one who actually says this?:
Fyodor Dostoevsky Wrote:“Then you believe in the New Jerusalem, do you?”
“I do,” Raskolnikov answered firmly; as he said these words and during the whole preceding tirade he kept his eyes on one spot on the carpet.
“And... and do you believe in God? Excuse my curiosity.”
“I do,” repeated Raskolnikov, raising his eyes to Porfiry.
“And... do you believe in Lazarus’ rising from the dead?”
“I... I do. Why do you ask all this?”
“You believe it literally?”
“Literally.” 
(Book III, Chapter 5)

Svidrigailoff is an even more depraved character than Raskolnikov, given his being a rapist and murderer who actually lives up to the ideal that Raskolnikov held up.

Christ, Jordan, you put Demons on your list of all-time best books along with Crime and Punishment, you'd think that a book about nihilist terrorists would give you better material!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by Rev. Rye - August 21, 2018 at 12:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19761 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 358 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 753 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 16344 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4178 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1742 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9728 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus