Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God?
RE: Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God?
(August 27, 2018 at 10:23 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(August 22, 2018 at 5:50 pm)Khemikal Wrote: The RCC maintains that the cracker is not just a cracker...that after the magic spell is cast..it's not even a cracker.  

The manner of it's transformation may be "not fully understood".... yet another mystery of the Not-A-Mystery-Cult™...but the fact of it's transformation is settled.

'Substance' is a term from Scholastic philosophy that refers to the resulting union from final, formal, efficient, and final causes. If any cause is changed then one substance changes into another. Interpreting the terms of the doctrine through a modern lens leads to the errors of interpretation such as the notion that consuming the host is cannibalism or that its physical matter is human flesh.

Similarly the word mystery in English has different connotations (not comprehensible or unknown) that the Latin word "mysterium" which literally means 'hidden'. As such when the the Eucharist is called a mystery, it refers to that which was hidden but has been revealed to believers by faith.

I don't really fault people for making those errors, since we are seeped in modernity, unless of course they have been informed that the significance of the Eucharist is more subtle and embedded in a tradition that preceded the modern era.

(August 27, 2018 at 10:19 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote: You, like CL before you have now put yourself it direct opposition to Catholic Doctrine. You know better than the Vatican. You know better than the Pope. You even know better than the majority of catholics even though you are not one yourself...I am intrigued how you will set about defending that.

See above. My defense is based on the express interpretation provided by the Magistrate and not the popular understanding of the layity. One doesn't have to be a practicing Catholic to have knowledge of Catholic traditions. That's like saying that because you listen to the radio you're an expert in electronics.
Pope says your are incorrect. Fail.

ETA: Want me to cite it again? "Mysterium Fidei". You didn't read it last time, what hope you will read it this time?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? - by Abaddon_ire - August 27, 2018 at 10:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 577 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8199 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15420 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 19328 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19671 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 4028 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10535 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 37726 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32427 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Mt. Soledad cross ordered to be taken down c172 350 97974 March 26, 2016 at 2:53 am
Last Post: robvalue