Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them?
How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them?
My neighbor wanted to move so she prayed for god’s guidance and he told her yes, go on and move.

God does not speak to us in an audible voice that we can distinguish from our own thoughts, so how does a Christian know when god is guiding him and when it’s his own desires, fears and conscience guiding him?

My father was a mental health counselor. He took a special interest in people who heard audible voices. The mainstream Church and the pope will hand you over to people like my father if you claim to hear such a voice. So don't even try to go there.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them?
When they particularly want what they want, Christians hear God telling them to go get it.
It seems more like confirmation bias and pattern spotting to me. People assign significance to things, and pick out events that correlate with what they want to believe.

They'll find messages anywhere, if they're looking hard enough. In my experience, most people don't tend to say they hear an audible voice. I'd be seriously worried about anyone who does. It's been suggested to me that people are "thinking aloud" in their head, and so it seems like a voice. Thoughts pop out of nowhere so often, it could be easy to convince yourself that a thought actually came from God, and you could internalise it as a voice.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No one has ever heard voices from God that has opposed what they themselves wanted?
Funny how that works, isn't it?
It's almost as if they are telling themselves things and pretending it is God?

[Image: 15pr48.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
They know it is god, whenever they hear what they want to hear.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I've heard preachers claim that god told them to talk about something different from what they had originally planned to. I have to believe that because it's not possible for a person to change his mind at the last minute. Only god can do that.

and if you believe that, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Quote:Is this the only thing a voice in the head ever tells these people to do, is to kill others?
Doesn't a voice ever tell a guy: "go take a shit on the salad bar at wendy's".

George Carlin
(June 12, 2016 at 11:49 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Is this the only thing a voice in the head ever tells these people to do, is to kill others?
Doesn't a voice ever tell a guy: "go take a shit on the salad bar at wendy's".

George Carlin

I am pretty sure if one can imagine it, the voice can and will say it!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 12, 2016 at 8:54 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: My father was a mental health counselor. He took a special interest in people who heard audible voices.  The mainstream Church and the pope will hand you over to people like my father if you claim to hear such a voice.  So don't even try to go there.

With some Marian apparitions that churchmen feel that they can exploit, no, they won't refer you to a mental health professional.  Instead, they will use the "miracle" to line their own coffers.
If people believe that God told them - after prayer - to move, then they wanted to move all along. This is no different than flipping a coin. If you're undecided about whether to move, flip a coin - heads you move, tails you stay. If you're happy that the coin came up heads, then you wanted to move all along.

So, in the final analysis, God's value is no greater than a 50c piece.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1751 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7778 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10478 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8029 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14898 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18374 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19024 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3821 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31177 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion? Whateverist 44 9887 November 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady