Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(September 1, 2018 at 9:06 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(September 1, 2018 at 8:56 am)PRJA93 Wrote: How is admitting there may be differences in different races, racist?
I'll give you an example, from the thread.  The heritability of IQ.  The claim that genetics (race, in a racists eyes) account for 70-80% of differences on IQ scores, the remainder being environmental (15%ish) and unquantified.  That's true..but it's selectively mined.  Its true -within- a control group called High-SES.  High socioeconomic status.  The same study, in the Low-SES control group, found a direct inversion of the relationship.  Estimated heritability was only 10%.  

Scientific racism points to the first half of their finding, omits the other, and uses that as a justification for an argument known as "the inevitability of black poverty".   It does this..because it's not science, it's just racism.

Quote:So long as scientific information isn't used to justify hatred or discrimination against a specific group of people, it's just information.
See above.

Quote:You seem to be the one turning it into an issue of hate.

Sure.   Rolleyes

Okay, and maybe what you're saying is perfectly true, maybe it isn't. I really don't know and don't care. The point I'm making is information is just information. Racism comes in when someone uses that information to discriminate against a certain group or justify hatred for a group. That's all. So if we agree fine.

And yea, you are the one turning it into hate. Even if it were true that people of one racial group were less intelligent than another because of hereditary factors - that's not racist. That would just be a statement of fact, if it were true. I'm not saying it is with any group and I'd be hard-pressed to be convinced of that, but we have to be careful about simply noting differences between people versus using those differences as a justification for actual racism. If you agree, then cool. Shy
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by EgoDeath - September 1, 2018 at 9:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19133 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 345 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15568 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4150 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1722 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9655 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus