Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
Okay, let's start digging through your sources.  It's Saturday, and I've got nothing better to do.  We'll start with the quote that I wanted you to provide a citation for.

(September 1, 2018 at 9:06 am)Khemikal Post #643 Wrote: I'll give you an example, from the thread.  The heritability of IQ.  The claim that genetics (race, in a racists eyes) account for 70-80% of differences on IQ scores, the remainder being environmental (15%ish) and unquantified.  That's true..but it's selectively mined.  Its true -within- a control group called High-SES.  High socioeconomic status.  The same study, in the Low-SES control group, found a direct inversion of the relationship.  Estimated heritability was only 10%.  

Scientific racism points to the first half of their finding, omits the other, and uses that as a justification for an argument known as "the inevitability of black poverty".  The notion that a "difference" between the races, in this case iq, leads to a pronounced demographic trend in poverty.  It does this..because it's not science, it's just racism.  

Bold mine, because I'm calling bullshit on this statement-- not that there's no such thing as racists using science dishonestly, but the idea that anything happening in this thread is that.

Now, first of all, please understand what a "control group" is.  In experimentation, it's a group which is NOT put through an experimental procedure, but is otherwise identical.  For example, in testing a drug, one group is given a drug, and the other is given a placebo.  The idea is that if the two groups are the same, then it must be the drug which is causing any observed effects. There's no such thing, at least in statistical analyses of demographic groups, as a "High-SES control group" and a "Low-SES control group."

Okay, I will now link the entire first source you provided.

Khemikal 1st source, Post #724 Wrote:

So your first source says exactly what I had already said before you went off on your rant about those dodgy racists hiding half the truth and so on, and it pretty much exactly mirrors what I had already said:

(September 1, 2018 at 6:04 am)bennyboy Post #639 Wrote: With regard to (2), it's shown that while childhood boosts can be gotten by environment, heritability after puberty is at about 75% - 80%.  It's a monster.  So even though we create special programs and so on (and we should, if just for the enrichment of those children's lives), the effect on IQ in adulthood is going to be fairly negligible.  What are we left with?  Eugenics?  I'm quite depressed about it actually-- I literally don't see a practical way out of this situation.

Now here's another of your sources:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3270016/ Wrote:The notion that heritability may be lower in lower-SES families is appealing, in part because of its environmental implications: If heritability is lower in lower-SES families, it suggests that environmental interventions might be more effective in boosting cognitive development for children in lower-SES families. The present study, which is based on a large UK-representative sample of children followed longitudinally, leads to a similar implication. Although the genetic influence on IQ is the same in lower-SES families, shared environmental influence appears to be greater in lower-SES families, suggesting that family-based environmental interventions might be more effective in these families. However, two further aspects of the results temper the policy implications of this finding. First, shared environmental influence is found in both lower- and higher-SES families and the difference in shared environmental influence between them is modest.  Second, shared environmental influences on IQ decline from childhood to adulthood so that these influences might not have an impact in the long run.

So, unless you linked all those sources because you are accusing science itself of being intrinsically racist, and everyone who's edited the wikipedia page from which I got the original info of being racist, I'm gonna say:

(1)  You clearly haven't read the things you've linked
(2)  They don't support your position of scientific racism

Now, I think you COULD find a study showing 10% difference due to heritability in like 2 year-olds under very extreme conditions of deprivation or something.  But since we were talking about wage disparity and its high correlation to IQ, since 2 year-olds are not part of the work force yet, and since I had already said that childhood boosts can be gotten by environment, your massive claim of dishonesty in "scientific racism" doesn't hold water.  Nobody is refusing to produce any data.  The data just doesn't say what you want it to say.

This is what I think.  I think you cannot show ANY source showing 10% heritability at working age.  I think you deliberately misrepresented the data to enforce your claim of racism.

That being said, I didn't say you had to use the data honestly.  I just said you had to show where you got the 10% figure from.  So go ahead and do that-- give a quote from one of those studies, where it mentions that the heritability of IQ in children locked in a shack for 5 years or whatever is 10%, and I'll go ahead and work out the details of the donation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - September 7, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19151 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 346 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15577 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4151 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1722 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9657 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus