Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 10:33 pm

Poll: Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic nominee
This poll is closed.
Bernie Sanders
14.29%
3 14.29%
Elizabeth Warren
14.29%
3 14.29%
Hillary Clinton
28.57%
6 28.57%
Joe Biden
9.52%
2 9.52%
John Kerry
0%
0 0%
Some younger than 1000
33.33%
7 33.33%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020?
RE: Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020?
(September 11, 2018 at 10:57 am)Khemikal Wrote: The Globe did a big writeup about this, not but 10 days ago.

Quote:The Globe examined hundreds of documents, many of them never before available, and reached out to all 52 of the law professors who are still living and were eligible to be in that Pound Hall room at Harvard Law School. Some are Warren’s allies. Others are not. Thirty-one agreed to talk to the Globe — including the law professor who was, at the time, in charge of recruiting minority faculty. 
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/...story.html

It was a deep enough dive to get around to the issue of why warren become so invested in the stories of her heritage, and why she's really never going to give a shit about what the howler monkeys have to say on the subject.
Quote:Warren said she had always identified closely with her mother’s side of the family: a sprawling and rowdy group with scant resources who looked after one another, and who, according to family lore, have Cherokee and Delaware blood.

When her grandmother died in 1969, Warren’s mother and three aunts led the family and further impressed on her their proud Cherokee connection.

Then in the late 1980s, around the time that Warren began identifying professionally as Native American, she began losing them, too. Her aunt Mae Reed Masterson died in October 1989. Her aunt Alice Ann Reed Carnes died in August 1990. That left her mother and her aunt Bess Veneck, (aka Aunt Bee), who lived with Warren and helped her raise her children.

Warren’s “Aunt Bee” — Bess Veneck — moved in with the Warren family and helped raise her children. She’s pictured here on Easter 1981 with Amelia Warren, 9, and Alex Warren, 4.
Warren campaign

“The two women in my life who have always been my guides through the world began to focus even more on the past,” Warren explained.

Yeah, but if it's not true, wouldn't you want to know? I mean what about self examination and the value of truth? Two things I want in a leader. I mean I'd still probably vote for Warren if she's the nominee, but any Atheist who it doesn't at least give a little pause to, should be concerned about that way of thinking. 

You can't just say 'I'm American Indian, I don't need to provide proof because I like being that way." So much so that she checked herself as Native American on college boxes. I mean, I'd at least want to know if the stories I was being told as a kid true. That's the thinking that lead me to being an Atheist in the first place.

What is really the harm to Warren if it's not true? If your self identity is so tied up in being 1/8th native American, I think that just comes out as super goofy. Trump will hammer her on this over and over and over again. All the mid-western working class white votes he stole from Hillary will see her as a goofy northeastnerer who is saying that it's wrong to be white, even if you are a blond haired blue eyed lady who is so obviously white.

Plus if you said that sexism is a contributing factor for Hillary losing, it didn't magically go away. I think she's probably one of the only candidates Trump would have a chance at beating.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020? - by CapnAwesome - September 11, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2533 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2733 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Removing treatment by democratic consensus as default (living wills) Duty 25 1342 October 7, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 337 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 8820 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 2306 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do you REALLY want things to change? onlinebiker 16 1620 September 19, 2020 at 4:45 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Kanye West 2020 President Raino921 40 2288 August 5, 2020 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Dundee
  JoJo 2020 onlinebiker 3 386 May 30, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Andrew Yang 2020 EgoDeath 0 207 February 19, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: EgoDeath