Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 9:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(September 14, 2018 at 7:20 am)Khemikal Wrote: Racists have the same freedom of speech as anyone else...what they don't have..what no one has, is consequence free speech.  Protecting a persons free speech does not require that we protect a person from the consequences of their speech, which they have freely availed themselves of.
If you want to frame it that way, then fine. The consequence of PC Left goofy-talk is that fewer and fewer people are willing to identify with the PC Left. Fact or nah? You think the PC Left is winning the PR war right now?

I think it HAS been winning, but now it's gone too goofy, and people like you are going to ruin it all. I don't think your declared. . . ahrmmm. . . plan of shouting down people like me in forums is likely to bring a net positive result, either for the credibility of the PC Left, or for the poor victimized demographics you pretend to care about (while, of course, doing absolutely nothing at all to actually help them).

At best, in arguing with a guy who is a declared left-winger, and who is trying to talk about actual solutions to actual problems that the left-wing care about, you are wasting time that would be better spent in a forum which had actual alt-right racists in it.

Quote:If a person decides to say racist shit, or to use their voice to contribute to inequality..then other people can freely decide to call them racist nitwits, other people can freely decide to point out that they are ignorant assholes who get shit laughably wrong.  Other people can decide not to support them economically. Other people can decide not to support those who are affiliated with them economically.  While your idea of free speech is convenient for white supremacists, it is not free speech..and you leverage the concept as criticism -against- the free speech of those who are not white supremacists.  You are convinced that those people, utilizing their free speech, will lead us down a dark..dark path.  How, who knows.  When, who knows.  Hasn't happened yet.  Meanwhile, racists engaging in their free speech -have- lead us down a dark path.  We are here, living it.  Their speech has consequences, not just for them..but for others.  They would prefer more of the latter and less of the former....historically they've gotten their way on that.
That's quite the narrative, considering that I'm using free speech in open inquiry of the problem of wage inequity between racial demographics and how to solve it, and explicitly so.

Quote:Your education remains your own responsibility.
And making and clearly supporting your points is yours. You're not my teacher, and I don't have to read whatever bibliography you claim has the answers.

Make a point. Support it. If asked where factual assertions come from, show where they come from. It's a super-simple process. If you'd like to learn how to cite properly for a forum, feel free to examine my own posts, in which I back up my factual assertions with sources.

Quote:You are responsible for the things that come out of your mouth.
I'm fine, and I take that responsibility seriously. That's why instead of spinning some long yarn, I back up my positions with clearly-cited facts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - September 14, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19145 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 345 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15573 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4151 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1722 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9656 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus